Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having just picked up my first ever injury which has stopped me running, I was wondering how other people manage to fill their time, (and stop themselves becoming the size of a house!) when they are unable to run for a few weeks.....

I aren't particularly good at swimming, although I am doing a bit as this is obviously one of the best courses of action, but I just can't spend as long in a pool as I used to spend running......

Anyone else having the same problem? or even better anyone with any good ideas of how I can fill my time, and get rid of this tyre which is currently forming at a much quicker rate than it will leave at....

·
Registered
24 Posts
are you able to go swimming? cyling? maybe there is something at the gym you coud have a go at!

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Sparky... I'm in the same position as you, although also panicking a bit because I've already had to defer from FLM and withdraw from the Great West Run. I've also got a half this Sunday in Tewkesbury, but more importantly Copenhagen marathon on 21st May.

I've been spending some time in the gym on the bike, rower and cross trainer. It's not the same as running obviously, but it slows down the fitness deterioration provided you work hard.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to you both for your advice.

I have been swimming, but I just find it so boring..... and as I said above I can't actually swim very far, and I aren't currently a member of a gym.

I will just have to push myself a bit at swimming, and try to enjoy it a little more. I have been cycling a little also, but again I just don't find it as enjoyable as running..... although I am doing the London to Brighton in June, so I will also have to put a bit more effort into this.....

I also had to defer my FLM entry, but haven't got any other immediate events (apart from the London to Brighton), so aren't in too much of a panic, it's just that I have been advised not to run at all for at least another 2 weeks....

All the very best for the Half, and for the marathon, Trinity and again thank you to both of you for your advice.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Depending on your injury you should seek the advice of your physio and see what you can do. Good luck with it. Try not to eat too much and put on weight!
Kebab_AKA:frog. Please learn some grammar!!!

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I had to withdraw from Tewkesbury too...so that's 3 races i've DNS'ed so far :(

Copenhagen is in less than two weeks time now and I've not been able to do any quality training for 5 weeks, so it's not looking good.

Plus if I can't do Copenhagen then I won't be able to do Dartmoor Discovery ultra on June 3rd.

I'm really not happy right now

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
That's a nightmare Trinity!
Hope you get sorted out soon and back on the roads.
Portugal was awesome. Did lots of training and came back brown and fitter!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts