Runners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of injury... :mad:

How do people go about it? 8 months ago I was a bit of a wreck, I took up running to help me deal with stress and crisis, and it worked wonders, I have faced personal challenges running and my confidence and self esteem, as well as my fitness, have shot up.

Now I've got an injury (not from running) with an uncertain prognosis, I can't run just yet, I have a race coming up which I don't know if I will be able to even enter now, I see other runners out and feel pangs of envy/misery.

My self-esteem levels are dropping, my confidence is dropping, and I'm starting to feel miserable that I can't get out there and run.

Are there any strategies/approaches people use when injured to keep mentally strong while they heal?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Sorry to hear about the injury. Having been sidelined a few times myself I found like you that not doing anything drove me mad. Eventually I decided to do another form of training whilst waiting to 'heal'

Swimming, cycling, rowing machine or even light gym work if good for soul whilst in this state and helps maintain a level of fitness up.

One other thing, don't rush back until it is fixed and even then build up gradually.

Hope it sorts out soon.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Really sorry to hear of your frustration and current situation. I have no advice other than what the previous poster has said however I hope things are resolved soon

Nat

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Probably best bet is to get interested in a sport or activity you can do while the injury lasts. that way you have fun and keep some fitness, maybe even keep it going after you're back to running :)

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
The thing to remember Rob is you are not alone ! just a quick glance at some of the most recent posts are about injuries and not being able to run for a variety of reasons.

There is nothing certain in this old life ,and were all getting along in the best way we can.

It can be hard at times but try not to let negative thoughts overide the positive ones .You say that your non running related injury has an uncertain prognosis ,instead of looking at that phrase as a negative image turn it around and think of it in terms of maybe i'm worrying about nothing or whatever it is i'm not going to let it beat me ,i'm going to do whatever it takes to get better.

None of us wants to be unable to run but it's a fact that we're all going to succumb at some point.It can be really frustrating to be sidelined but the feeling you get when you're able to run again is priceless .!

I'm sure i speak for everyone on the forum in saying we wish you a speedy recovery;)

Keep posting on the forum and let us all know how your getting on .

Take care

Cheriton;)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi Rob, firstly I'd just like to wish you well with your 'injury', really hope it works out to have a good outcome:) :)
I completely sympathise with you the feelings you are having not being able to run misery/envy I find it is really depressing when I can't run.
I'm pretty new to running but have found it is something I really love doing although I don't feel like a natural runner. I think since taking it up I've spent more time being injured than actually being able to run:mad:
With any other exercise I do such as cycling, boxing circuits, exercise classes although I enjoy them once I'm doing them, I really have to muster up the enthusiasm to do them. But with running I just can't wait to get out!

I think the advice the other guys have given sums it up really, try get out and do some other form of exercise (if you can depending on your injury), I know it probably won't cut it like running does but it will help lift your spirits a little bit. And the advice from Cheriton about turning your situation around to a positive view, hard as it may be, is probably the best form of mental conditioning to get you through, working through the challenges that are thrown at you will only make you stronger and more determined:) Just take it steady when you get back to it cause the last thing you want to do is take one step forward and 10 back!!;)

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
roadrunnerrob said:
Of injury... :mad:

My self-esteem levels are dropping, my confidence is dropping, and I'm starting to feel miserable that I can't get out there and run.
Rob don't get down, you will get better and then you can make up for it. Look to the future and have a plan in your mind to what you will do when you become fit again. What about trying to occupy yourself with something new to take your mind off it while you are on the mend, and put all your energy into that.

Keep your chin up mate:) :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
I was unable to walk for 9 months due to shattering my leg and ankle (3 operations, 7 inch plate, 14 screws and a bone graft), and recovering from that sort of injury is very frustrating and gives you a range of mental battles to contend with. Even making a cup of tea was a mission and a half. During this time I lost my job and I almost lost my girlfriend from taking my frustrations out on her.

You must focus on something else to achieve. Learning languages, learning new skills, beasting yourself with some sort of stretching programme or physio programme to aid your recovery and to keep your fitness up.

Its a tough one when you are unable to do the things you want, but you can keep active in other ways.

Also I found watching "touching the void" was helpful, as it stopped me feeling sorry for myself and bitching about my injury and pushed me to actually do stuff on my crutches... in comparison my injury was **** all compared to what other people deal with day in day out...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the messages of support.

Some people seem to have more mental strength naturally, just as they have more physical strength - I do get frustrated easily, and when I see others coping with worse things, it makes me feel even more inadequate sometimes! I've got it reasonably tough at the mo - dad died 8 months ago, mum is dying of cancer (and all the nice family arguments and nonsense that go with such a situation) and my business has gone down the tubes this month, losing the running is the icing on the cake, I was a different person running!

Still, BASE813 your comments spurred me to action and advice of others really good - I've done half an hour on my exercise bike, it hurt at first but I worked up a sweat and it felt good, my battered ribs seemed to respond better to deep breathing and the cycling motion didn't annoy them (whereas blowing nose does...). It gave me a bit of comfort that at least I can pound the pedals for now, has raised my mood too - will keep that up, and maybe enjoy a walk to the woods until I feel I can run again - today's activity gave me a bit of hope that it may be sooner rather than later.

Suppose it's a warning we can never rely too much on everything as nothing lasts and it's all built on sand - I should know this as a Buddhist - DOH! :eek:

·
Registered
298 Posts
roadrunnerrob said:
I've done half an hour on my exercise bike, it hurt at first but I worked up a sweat and it felt good, my battered ribs seemed to respond better to deep breathing and the cycling motion didn't annoy them (whereas blowing nose does...). It gave me a bit of comfort that at least I can pound the pedals for now, has raised my mood too - will keep that up, and maybe enjoy a walk to the woods until I feel I can run again - today's activity gave me a bit of hope that it may be sooner rather than later.
Good lad! :cool:

I apologise, I re-read my post and could see how it maybe deemed to be a little harsh... not my intention, I was being harsh about myself during my recovery and was no way a hidden message toward you...

Keep at it! In years to come you will look back and think what the **** was that all about! :cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Glad your feeling a little better Rob :) , you seem to be having a rough time as well as being laid up.

Base, just looked at your picture that's a nasty injury :eek:

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BASE813 said:
Good lad! :cool:

I apologise, I re-read my post and could see how it maybe deemed to be a little harsh... not my intention, I was being harsh about myself during my recovery and was no way a hidden message toward you...

Keep at it! In years to come you will look back and think what the **** was that all about! :cool: :cool: :cool:
Wasn't that harsh, lol - but did made me think and did help drag me up out of self-pity mode! I think we can all be guilty of blowing minor things out of proportion, or even making major things worse by the way we look at them, and with hindsight could always have dealt with things better!

Your experience sounds really bad, am glad you got through it (assuming you have!)

·
Registered
298 Posts
roadrunnerrob said:
Your experience sounds really bad, am glad you got through it (assuming you have!)
It was tough, both mentally and physically..... but nothing compared to some of my friends injuries (and deaths..........) :confused:

I went through that 3 years ago, and now I am running on my ankle pretty well (still have to drag it behind me of a morning til it warms up).... except I have issues with my hip / upper leg due to my weak ankle and running on it.... but I am slowly with help from physio getting my body fine tuned! :cool:

It is all relative, and what one finds tough, another does not... what one finds disabling, others do not..........

Dont stress it, and just search for things that give you a nice smug feeling at the end of the day with a nice cuppa rosie..... :cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts