Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Have just returned from Budapest having completed my first half marathon on Sunday. The heat was incredible with temperatures well over 32 degrees C, so consequently the times were slow. My PB for 10K (which was the furthest I had done prior to this) was 1hr 3 minutes (so I am by no means quick!

I finished my first half marathon in 2hrs 33mins and 35 secs.

Whilst this was my first, and the heat was obviously a factor, I have no real reference points as to whether this was any good or not. Obviously there is loads of room for improvement so if anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

I've definately caught the bug for this though and can't wait for the next event. Liverpool 10K in October is my next goal with sub 60 mins in my sights

Thanks for listening.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I'd say it was a very good effort! I bet there were a fair few who wouldn't have finished at all!

You're right in saying there's plenty of room for improvement - there ALWAYS is! But now you've got a half marathon under your belt, which you've run in very unfavourable conditions - you can look forward to entering another and smashing your PB ;)

Well done again :)

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Great effort Badger.

I wouldn`t fancy a 10k in that heat,let alone a half Marathon.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I have a lot of respect for you completing it in those temperatures. I struggle running long distances when it is in the mid 20s. I really wouldn't even think about the time. Just finishing is an accomplishment in those conditions.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Whilst this was my first, and the heat was obviously a factor, I have no real reference points as to whether this was any good or not. Obviously there is loads of room for improvement so if anyone has any suggestions that would be great.
You can only really make your own reference points - some people will run much quicker, but they could well be fitter, be more genetically predisposed to running, have run for a long time, etc etc etc blah blah blah.

Now you do have a real reference point - so keep plugging away and next time you will run faster for sure (pick somewhere cooler :lol:).

So I'll add to the others and say I think you did fantastically well and now you can just keep getting even better :d

FWIW I did my own first 10k (in training mind) in 1 hr 7 mins and am now aiming for sub 50 and beyond after 6 months proper training - so don't underestimate how much improvement you might be able to make if you put in the work :cool:

·
Registered
466 Posts
John "the Penguin" Bingham sums it up pefectly - "The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts