Runners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hard to believe that a couple of months ago I was doing the 'run 5 mins, walk 5 mins' thing (and feeling a bit deflated that it was harder than I thought it would be) yet today did my first 10K race - the Great Manchester Run.

Came in with a time of 52mins 53 secs which I'm really pleased with. Never been able to break the 55 mins in training.

So, anyone out there now just starting out - do stick with it. It may not feel like it now, but in a surprisingly short while you'll be making plenty of progress !

Simon

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Well done Simon.

I`m sure it will be the first of many.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Wow thats great going ive got my first race on June 10th its only 5k but everyone keeps telling me not to expect too much coz they'll be that many people there that i wont be able to run like i do in training is that true. I can imagine that i will be really frustrated if that happens.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
They are very crowded and some enter to walk so if you are fast you will have to weave in and out of some of the ladies - I would start nearer the front. However the atmosphere is always great at these events and the emphasis is always on raising money for cancer research not the running itself - for instance there will be no results published and no one will record your time over the finish (other than yourself). Just enjoy the atmosphere - ti gets quite emotional reading all the messages on peoples backs.

If you want to race maybe look for a race organised by a local club.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yeh i can imagine it will get quite emotional ive wanted to do it for a couple of years but never got round to it thats why i started training not really thinking i would enjoy it as much as i do but ive had a look at some races on the site and think i'm going to register for some of those.

·
Registered
180 Posts
My race for life is on Sunday how should i be running this week. I was going to do tues, thurs and sat morning will that be ok

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Stotty said:
My race for life is on Sunday how should i be running this week. I was going to do tues, thurs and sat morning will that be ok
That should be OK. Nice steady run on Tuesday. On Thursday, after a steady mile to warm up, do a few faster bursts - between lamp posts or trees in the park - with jog recoveries. On Saturday go for a very steady jog in the morning, trying not to get out of breath, visualizing how you're going to run on Sunday. On Sunday, be bold, line up near the front and run at your own optimum pace, a pace you can maintain without having to walk. Time your run for future reference. Hope all goes well.
Cheers!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Good luck Stotty - see we are all different as we can see from Steve's and Runningfox's advice.

As you've got some knee issues I would take it easy and save yourself for the big day (you don't want to risk further injry after all). There isn't much you can do between now and race day to make much of an improvement.

Make sure you post your time so we can see how you've done and congratulate you.

·
Registered
180 Posts
thanks i'll do that but i'm really nervous about it being very crowded like you said and i'm not able to run much. Ive acquired a real competitive streak its not like me. Its a charity event thats what i keep telling myself but coz its my first one i want a good time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts