Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for an 8 mile run tonight, and for the first time in 3 years of running I did a negative split. Usually, no matter how far I run, or how slow the first half of my run is, I always finish the second half slower than the first. But today, I did the second 4 miles quicker than the first. I ran the first 4 miles in 28:12 and the second in 27:30 :) It wasn't a flat out pace, obviously, but I was glad to discover that I can run a negative split. I thought it was beyond me. I even managed to throw in a 6:15 mile at the end. Bizarre thing is, I found the first 4 miles a lot harder than the second. My legs felt heavy and I was really just plodding along. Then after 4 miles I just felt great. Still wasn't pushing particualrly hard but just felt I was floating back. Anyway, I feel very good right now.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
It wasn't long ago you said you had to start out fast wasn't it? Nice to see it works and surely the fact you feel good after the run is the benefit :)

Well done.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It wasn't long ago you said you had to start out fast wasn't it? Nice to see it works and surely the fact you feel good after the run is the benefit :)

Well done.
You're right. Think I said that a few days ago. To be honest, I think it's psychological. Often when I've gone out slow my head doesn't want to push later on because I know I'm not going to run a very fast time. But tonight, I didn't care about the time or the pace. I just wanted to do 8 miles and go with the flow of how I was feeling. I feel really chuffed, even though the final time was only 55 minutes, which is about 3 or 4 minutes slower than I can run 8 miles when I'm really pushing it. And I only have to run another 8 miles before Sunday to make up my 35 for the week, so two nice easy 4 milers coming up the next couple of days :)

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
floating along at 6:15/mi eh? Nutter! :p
I don't know if i've ever done a negative split? I guess I must have at some point!!!
I'm sure you have had those moments too where everything just clicks and it all feels incredibly easy. I mean when I went to do a full out 1 mile pb a few days ago, I could only manage 5:32 and it hurt a lot. I was breathing heavy and felt I had used up all my energy. But out of curiosity I checked my splits on training centre for the 10 miler I ran a few weeks ago in 65 minutes, and the first mile of that I ran in 5:47 and it felt easy. It was only 15 seconds slower than the 5:32 one off mile that almost killed me. It just doesn't make any sense. Just got to enjoy it when it goes well and accept the bad times :)

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
And I only have to run another 8 miles before Sunday to make up my 35 for the week, so two nice easy 4 milers coming up the next couple of days :)
can i just ask something, how exactly do you get 35 miles in this week ?

i'm trying to rethink my running scedule and just wondering how other people managed all that running with work on top...

cheers

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
i thought negative runs were easy to do you.

just start slower, increase your pace at the half way point and then go for it the last couple of miles.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Talking a completely different pace, but I have to work really hard to start out slow. The difference later on is marked though and overall times are almost identical.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
can i just ask something, how exactly do you get 35 miles in this week ?

i'm trying to rethink my running scedule and just wondering how other people managed all that running with work on top...

cheers
a 15mile long run on a sunday and then 3 * 7 miles in the week would get you close

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used to start my weeks on Saturdays, but Garmin training centre starts my weeks on Sundays, so I tend to go with that now. I haven't figured out how to change the start of the week.

As for fitting it all in, well this week I did:

8.5 miles on Sunday
2 miles on Monday (going for mile pb)
8.2 miles on Tuesday
8.3 miles on Thursday

So only 8 miles left to do by Sunday. I usually do a 10 or 12 mile run on Sundays and/or Saturdays, and a few 10ks and 5 milers during the week, depending on what I can fit in. I'm quite lucky in that I'm an academic so I don't have to be in the office 9-5. I can work from home a lot if I want, so sometimes I'll run on a weekday afternoon. I would find it more difficult if I had a 9-5 and a long commute. I don't envy runners that have to deal with that.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I used to start my weeks on Saturdays, but Garmin training centre starts my weeks on Sundays, so I tend to go with that now. I haven't figured out how to change the start of the week.

As for fitting it all in, well this week I did:

8.5 miles on Sunday
2 miles on Monday (going for mile pb)
8.2 miles on Tuesday
8.3 miles on Thursday

So only 8 miles left to do by Sunday. I usually do a 10 or 12 mile run on Sundays and/or Saturdays, and a few 10ks and 5 milers during the week, depending on what I can fit in. I'm quite lucky in that I'm an academic so I don't have to be in the office 9-5. I can work from home a lot if I want, so sometimes I'll run on a weekday afternoon. I would find it more difficult if I had a 9-5 and a long commute. I don't envy runners that have to deal with that.
I feel lucky to be in a similar position working for myself - have no idea how I'd have fitted in running when I was working. I generally run early afternoon when the streets are pretty quiet.

It's so true what you say about the running - I did a 5k all out the other day, was knackered, and it was a crap time for me - yet on other occasions I will feel I am just jogging along on a longer run and go through 5k faster than that and wonder how I'm doing it :huh:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts