Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is great to be able to discuss my passion for running with others at long last.i have been running for 3 years now and kept a track on each session.i would like to start a thread regarding timed runs.what do you think about them?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Welcome to RF Dionysus. You'll notice that it is a bit quite around here at the weekend. (Most of the regulars are probably out running). Me, I'm stuck at home looking after the youngsters :(

Anyway, you'll see from my signature that I'm not a big fan of timed runs, but having said that, I still record the times of each run merely to help record my fitness levels

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Hello there Dionysus and welcome :d . I do time my runs, but really wish I didn't as I start to obsess about it, which for me takes the pleasure away.

·
Registered
835 Posts
dimple said:
Hello there Dionysus and welcome :d . I do time my runs, but really wish I didn't as I start to obsess about it, which for me takes the pleasure away.
Dimple, that's exactly why I concentrate on the distance

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I should know better really than to go out with my watch on, I have to time each mile I just can't stop myself. But the trouble is if I'm slightly under my normal pace it disheartens me.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I know what you mean, its taken me along time to accept it's the distance that counts, but it still doesn't stop me clock watching. I suppose I've learnt to put up with it. I guess my signature is there to remind me.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
i never time myself when i go for a normal run...

i don't see the point really...

sometimes your legs will hold you back...

sometimes it's your fitness holds you back...

sometimes you are tired...

sometimes you are stressed...

sometimes you just don't feel like it...

so the last thing you want is to have the 'i should have gone faster' feeling after you run...

in the end of the day i don't think it matters how you run day to day... it's long term goals that count...

·
Registered
835 Posts
Revenged said:
i never time myself when i go for a normal run...

i don't see the point really...

sometimes your legs will hold you back...

sometimes it's your fitness holds you back...

sometimes you are tired...

sometimes you are stressed...

sometimes you just don't feel like it...

so the last thing you want is to have the 'i should have gone faster' feeling after you run...

in the end of the day i don't think it matters how you run day to day... it's long term goals that count...
'ere 'ere...

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I time every run I do and measure the distance, and keep track of my HR (or rather the Garmin does it all for me). I feel it helps me understand where my body's at and helps me see how well I'm progressing.

I think as long as you learn to accept that not every run is going to be your best, and that on certain days you will just run slower, there's no problem with being a stats geek :d

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Agree

What you say makes total sense.by timing my runs though i can see that it is almost 2 years to the day that i recorded my best time over a 2 mile distance. It was 13.11.62.there is always a goal to achieve if we stick at our pursuits i feel.hey,why not post directly to me.there is much much more i could write.its up to you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts