Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:embarrassed:

Morning everyone, (bit of a story. get your tea or coffee ready)

Had a 10k Race booked in for sunday just gone.

Well Sunday, got up ate usual porridge etc, drank loads day before, ate well
etc, felt brilliant.

Left at 8.35 thinking it would be plenty of time to get there.

Picked up supporter, Well it got to 10.00 and we arrived in Kings Lynn
but cause its such a huge event (did not realise) the whole town centre road system was shut off, so you can imagine got stuck in traffic, well eventually parked down side road but
we still had to get to the market place in the centre of town so we
started to jog I looked at my watch and said to supporter "its 10.26 it starts
in 4 mins" by this time I was at the 7km mark
(obviously we had to run down this bit) so supporter said you run on so I ran as fast as I
could what seemed like an eternity.

I asked marshalls etc frantically where the start was they guided me to start and said
be careful they already started, they will be running down here. So I kept running, and trying to smile. (inside i could of cried)

Got in the market place, see the clock timer it said 04.10.23 I thought SH*t marshall shouted to me, just go .... As I ran through the crowds the
people chanted/shouted "ere luv they went ages ago", also
hearing children saying look she is well late did not make me feel any better, I was so embarrassed by this point I still had my normal glasses on (which i have never run in) i just thought sod it, I was completely worn out by this point already running as fast as I could to the start then having tocatch them up, I kept running and saw only crowds and hearing people say awww bless look she is late... I just grinned nervously and said yes i know

Anyways got round the corner (for what seemed like an eternity) and started the see the
back of the walkers/joggers, so I started to filter through the slower ones but I was
so tired, I run round corner and see my friend standing there with a look
that said OH DEAR, he said keep going your ok your not last, I over took
a few had to stop a couple of times to catch my breath also it was HOT
day, so I kept working my way through turned the corners etc, talking to
myself and KICKING myself that I cocked it up so bad, it could have been
such a good race for me for a PB, listening to people walking running
that it was not far to go thinking to myself this should of been a piece of cake for me
from what I achieved in the last year, anyways I got to the 7km bit
again (where I ran from near car to the start) and I knew it was not
that far.

So I just kept going for it, it came to the bit where you ran though the
town centre again with all the crowds watching, I could hear a few
people say that's the girl who started late and well done you for getting that far.

When I come to the 9km I sprinted to the finish with
so many spectators saying WELL DONE !!! I felt famous ha ha.

Well now I know I crossed the line in 1:12 something
which I know was very very bad for me, but the run to the start and
catching them up did it for me, I did well considering the circumstances I
nearly give up at the start, so considering the day I had I am pleased.

So gutted about it really as I really planned on
doing well but I can laugh a bit about it now, BUT at the time it was not
funny.

When i came through the finish line Ron hill stood next to me too and looked to me to
say well do you know who I am I did but I was so worked up on what happened that i just stood there and looked at him, he looked rather leathery :p .. felt like saying Ron whats with the mullet ??

Smiled at him though :rolleyes:

So moral of the story is LEAVE WELL ENOUGH TIME FOR RACES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Dont think i am going to live this down with the Club .... can hear the remarks now :rolleyes:

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Got my coffee..........

What a SILLY BILLY!!

Will have to create a new club award for this year I reckon!

Moral of story though...better to arrive at an event early rather than end up in a rush..

Good determined effort though Leece...well done!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steve said:
Does this need deleting?!!!:p :p
Where did you get that from :p :embarrassed:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Oh dear :(

Well, hey, look at the positives. You still managed it, despite having run rather more than the planned 10km. You overtook loads of people on the way. You even had your 15 minutes of fame - I bet more of the spectators knew who you were than knew who Ron Hill was, even if they did only know you as the girl who started late ;) And, you're pretty much guaranteed to improve on your time next time out :d

(I'm now really worried about getting to my RfL on Sunday. I've been concerned anyway - 3,000 participants plus spectators, no public transport and the option of only one A road to get there. I think I'm going to be dragging Mr BPC out of bed about 7am to make sure we get there in time for 11, even though it's only 30 mins away :eek: )

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes Bag get there in plenty of time my experiences on race for life they are very busy the one where i normally go had 6000 women there :eek: and the traffic gets very bad also as this is a A road.

and as for me *slaps self yes i will definately improve my time, i have already done a 10k before so i know i can do better lol*

LOL @ the girl whom was late title

I wish you luck for Sunday Bag its a great event that makes you feel proud to be there.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I for one give you a lot of credit for not giving up and finishing the race under what seemed like awful circumstances. Can't say I would have had the dedication to go through with it. I would have probably gone to a cafe and eaten a large ice cream sundae and cried. So, well done you. At least you got to do some running and you didn't come last, which is always a bonus. There will be more races for you to break your PB, so just think of it as a good training run. You now know you can pretty much run under any circumstances. Don't let it get you down :)

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JBBury said:
I for one give you a lot of credit for not giving up and finishing the race under what seemed like awful circumstances. Can't say I would have had the dedication to go through with it. I would have probably gone to a cafe and eaten a large ice cream sundae and cried. So, well done you. At least you got to do some running and you didn't come last, which is always a bonus. There will be more races for you to break your PB, so just think of it as a good training run. You now know you can pretty much run under any circumstances. Don't let it get you down :)
Well that went through my head to just pull out or not even start :confused:

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What was weird also is they only scanned the chip at the finish and not the start, if it scanned at the start i would of had a better time even.

Oh well :p

Still got a 5mile race this evening which i will be on time for :p

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Well, you got the race done, and had an interesting morning :cool:. It would have been worse to just turn back and assume you'd never have made it..

·
Registered
506 Posts
I've had recurring dreams before race day where that scenario has happened and it was awful - but for you it was real!! It takes some mental hardstuff to set off so late as you did and turn the situation in your favour at the end. On the positive side, all you have to do next time to get a pb is get to the start line on time :p Only kidding:d You did well in face of adversity. I shouldn't say your post was a great read, that would be the wrong thing to say, but thanks for sharing. I think there is a lesson in there for all of us - and my recurring nightmares will no doubt increase too:) Things can only get better next time. Good on you for finishing all the same.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you will crack up when i tell you this ... i actually did have a dream the night before that i missed the start cause i lost my running trousers and went back to the car to get them :p then i could not find my car. EEK

·
Registered
707 Posts
Heh, that does sound like a bit of a nightmare, but you were a trooper to do it anyway, so kudos to you :d Anyway... lessons learnt! :d:d

·
Registered
707 Posts
LEECE said:
you will crack up when i tell you this ... i actually did have a dream the night before that i missed the start cause i lost my running trousers and went back to the car to get them :p then i could not find my car. EEK
I had that dream a few nights before the half I did - I dreamt that cuz I was getting a lift from my uni tutor, and him being a bit silly couldn't work out how to start his car - so I missed the start of the race!!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hee hee its funny how things play on your mind isnt it :p

Well done on your half time by the way ANS

:p

·
Registered
707 Posts
Thanking you :) Have you done any halves before, or are you planning on doing that at some point in the future?

·
Registered
506 Posts
LEECE said:
Are you keeping some of this premonition back from us, Leece?? I'm now starting to think you ran the race not only late but with no trousers on. :d Perhaps that's why people were talking!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I better check race photos perhaps i never had my trousers on :embarrassed:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts