Runners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Folks,

Having recently started running, I hope not to have to do too much road running. Can any one help me with finding a distance calculator, for off road routes? Preferably an online tool to apply to any where in the UK.

I have used Google Earth which is pretty usefull for road runs but doesn't appear to be able to cope with off road routes, which I much prefer.

Any help would be appreciated,

Regards,

Pete.

·
Registered
835 Posts
mapmyrun can nearly do this but you will need to deselect the 'follow road' check box and you will also have to guess were the off road routes are, but if your mapping skills are OK, this shouldn't prove too difficult.

However, I too would be interested to see if anyone comes back with a better site.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Try this link http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

Go to where you want and click on satellite. The just click on 'start recording' on the left and off you go! Zoom in as close as you can to make things easier. I had exactly the same problem as I run through country parks, etc, etc. I think its fairly accurate when I've compared it to road runs.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Robbo said:
Try this link http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

Go to where you want and click on satellite. The just click on 'start recording' on the left and off you go! Zoom in as close as you can to make things easier. I had exactly the same problem as I run through country parks, etc, etc. I think its fairly accurate when I've compared it to road runs.
I must be doing something wrong, when I click on start recording I cannot seem to be able to plot the route. Am I missing something (apart from marbles!)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Click on start recording, then move the cursor to the place you want to start from on the map. Then double click at each point along the route you require. let me know if you have anymore problems :cool:

·
Registered
835 Posts
Robbo said:
Click on start recording, then move the cursor to the place you want to start from on the map. Then double click at each point along the route you require. let me know if you have anymore problems :cool:
Ahh, I knew it was something simple (me!). It was the double click I was missing.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
mapmyrun it can be done off-road, i used it for regular routes as it is time consuming. i'd have the o/s map open with the footpaths on it. now i have a GPS I am finding this was pretty accurate compared to the GPS distance, to within a tenth of a mile.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts