Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,go easy as im new to running[and the forum],so if this question seems a little dumb then as i said.............go easy[please]

I just wondered if anyone could tell me the best method of measuring my distance. I understand it would be easy enough if i was running on road routes but ive just been running random trail/off road routes.

Thanks in advance:cool:

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
A lot of people use www.mapmyrun.com.

This is ok so long as the trails you're running on can be picked up by the Google imagery that this programme uses (You basically trace your route onto a satellite image of the area that you've run on). Problems arise when you run through woodland and you're then unable to see the surface features.
Give it a go.

You'll find that quite a few runners now use sat-nav watches which also compute all manner of techno info (heart-rate/calories burned etc...). But obviously it's up to you if you want to fork out the cash for something like that. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I'd guessed that there would be some high-tech gadgets out there for the required job. Im actually training for the Navy at present so knowing my distance is essential as i'll be timed on a set distance for my fitness test.

So,thanks again. I'll give it a go!:d

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
tHe_fRoNt said:
Thanks for the reply. I'd guessed that there would be some high-tech gadgets out there for the required job. Im actually training for the Navy at present so knowing my distance is essential as i'll be timed on a set distance for my fitness test.

So,thanks again. I'll give it a go!:d

Good luck with that! View attachment 483

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
You can get a sat nav watch in pc world for £99.99 or at least you could .Or the usual ebay and the likes!

Good luck with your navy career;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks,im gonna need it.The fitness doesnt worry me onw bit but I have a few past credit/debt issues that could affect me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The route ive been running is 2.6 miles. I suppose its time to start timing myself.

I know alot depends on my stats,but any estimates at what would be classed as a average-good time for a beginner.

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
tHe_fRoNt said:
The route ive been running is 2.6 miles. I suppose its time to start timing myself.

I know alot depends on my stats,but any estimates at what would be classed as a average-good time for a beginner.
This isone of those proverbial "piece of string questions .

Aside from your own personal stats such as do you still have all your own teeth:eek: the actual run itself needs to be taken into account .
ie hilly flat etc etc

Sorry to be so vague but you can see the problem;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cheriton said:
This isone of those proverbial "piece of string questions .

Aside from your own personal stats such as do you still have all your own teeth:eek: the actual run itself needs to be taken into account .
ie hilly flat etc etc

Sorry to be so vague but you can see the problem;)

Sorry,im new to all this running business. I didnt consider the terrain:confused: :rolleyes:

I suppose the best way is to time my best efforts and try to progress and improve on each run.

Cheers anyway.

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Don't apologise:) You are absolutely correct to ask the question and please don't worry about asking any others, someone on the forum will always try to answer you.

Cheriton

·
Registered
56 Posts
Does anyone know whether pedometers work when running? Again not perfect (inaccurate stride measure, variable strides up and down hills) but it may give a half decent estimate.

·
Registered
48 Posts
fandango said:
Does anyone know whether pedometers work when running? Again not perfect (inaccurate stride measure, variable strides up and down hills) but it may give a half decent estimate.
If you run a loop that takes you back to the same place you begun, that's not an issue, as the overall average slope is zero so you spend just as much time uphill as you do downhill. Just make sure to calibrate the pedometer and check road run pedometer distances against gmap-pedometer.com and you should be fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts