started running three times a week, doing about 4 miles. Can anyone tell
me if you aim to increase the distance first or maintain distance and increase
speed?

thank you
babaroo

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
i think that really depends on your goals.

increasing your distance generally also helps increase your ability to run fast..... but only up to a point.

3 runs a week training schedules often involve a longer slower run for endurance, a shorter fast run or specific drills (i.e. speed intervals or hill work) and a mid distance 'tempo' run.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
But generally you are supposed to have built up an endurance base of around 25 miles a week before serious speed work. However this is probably only a guideline and people differ. Personaly I would go for distance - maybe increase your long Sunday runs (or whenever you do them) by a mile per week.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Mmmh - I agree - go for distance first. I'm a newish runner, and tried to increase my speed, but found that my recovery times between runs was getting longer, and so I was getting increasingly tired more quickly on subsquent runs.

So, for the moment I've given up on speed, and am just concentrating on distance. Having said that I do try and go for the sort of schedule that Ed_m recommended: one long slow run, one shorter acceleration-type drill run (ala Jeff Galloway), and one other run per week. I find that's working for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts