Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am a 15 year old femal distance and xcountry runner.I am 5.6/7 and weigh 8stone 1 lb.
At the start of the season I have noticed that I am finding 3 k difficult to get any significant result , dispite training 4 times a week with my club, swimming stamina training, 2 hours and 2 hour fencing.
I have noticed with few exceptions that the girls who keep going the longest are always lighter than me!
I am not about to develop an eating disorder! BUT is there a connection here? It makes sence that the lighter you are, the less youhave to carry around with you!
Would it be a good idea to lose a few pounds, say 5/6? (healthily!)
Also I would like to build up my stamina through strength training. how can I do this?

Thank you

·
Registered
231 Posts
No, I don't really think there is a connection. If you do strength training, you're bound to be muscular rather than have excess fat on you. Muscle tissue apparently weighs more than fat. I calculate your BMI, based on your height/weight, as 18.2. This actually puts you into the underweight category already. So I don't think you should try to lose weight. It's more a question of training. Strength training is good, but doesn't develop your cardiovascular capacity. Maybe you should try to concentrate on CV training instead, and then you will find that your stamina naturally follows.

One suggestion might be to not race or even run the 3k fast. Go for a slower pace, and then gradually increase your distance by no more than 10% per week. I think you'll be amazed at the results.

·
Registered
151 Posts
ellens, if you are more athletically built than the other girls, maybe you should try your hand at shorter distances, where power is more useful. you obviously have a good endurance base, so why not do a little more speed training and give the 800m/1500m a go.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Speak to a trusted coach (or two), young athletes need specific advice, especially if you are still growing

flakey

·
Registered
419 Posts
I definitely am no expert... but that won't stop me offering advice!

I'd say that there is obviously a connection between weight and speed.

However, given that you sound like you are a very healthy weight, then I'd try other tactics (e.g. gym work, specific 8-10 week training plans for middle distance running, changing race preparation/tapering plan, mixing in some new types of training - maybe extra long runs to build stamina, changing race tactics, trying to run without a watch, adding in extra rest days, etc, etc - there's so much to try) before looking at the weight loss option.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I agree with flakey...you need to seek advice from a qualified coach due to your age

1 - 7 of 7 Posts