Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to running and at the moment can only jog for a few minutes at a time before slowing down to a walk. I'm gradually increasing the time I jog for but have no idea how far I'm actually going in miles, is there an easy way to calculate how you've gone?

·
Registered
56 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
fandango said:
Second mapmyrun a free way to log your distance and easy to use. I have a gps system myself but still use the mapmyrun system.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think the truth is that you should run for enjoyment, stop start and stop start again before getting all scientific

I use the nike plus watch though, there are many on the market that change in price from 40 pound to 993248039134841921-352403241-832 pound!

read lots and get the mental state first, I like watching the floor in a hypnotic way that makes the run about body rather than distance .... when i look up i make my self bad .... concerntrate on breathing..i appologize to everyone drink night

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
mrstimpson said:
I think the truth is that you should run for enjoyment, stop start and stop start again before getting all scientific

I use the nike plus watch though, there are many on the market that change in price from 40 pound to 993248039134841921-352403241-832 pound!

read lots and get the mental state first, I like watching the floor in a hypnotic way that makes the run about body rather than distance .... when i look up i make my self bad .... concerntrate on breathing..i appologize to everyone drink night
Breathing whilst running is to be recommended:rolleyes: Trinity had an altercation with a car recently:eek: could have been much worse with head down and in an hypnotic state.

As for" looking up and making myself bad" i think thats more to do with mrstimpson imbibing a little too much last night :d

Take it easy

·
Registered
353 Posts
Liz3yy said:
I'm new to running and at the moment can only jog for a few minutes at a time before slowing down to a walk. I'm gradually increasing the time I jog for but have no idea how far I'm actually going in miles, is there an easy way to calculate how you've gone?
I'm in the same boat as you. Just started and onto week 2. Been looking at those watch thingy's but off to check out that website now. Good luck and let me know how you get on?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone, the map website looks useful, I'll give that a go and let you all know how I get on :)

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Just a quick note to say make sure you're not taking yourself out of an efficient running posture by looking at the ground; it could be making your runs slower n harder! Make sure you keep your head up (even if you still look at the ground) ;)

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hrun said:
I can vouch for the Nike sportsband as well. For 40 quid it is not perfect but is accurate within about 20 yards for me.

www.slowgeek.com/pr/1894056906

Above is a snapshot of my run data. Please note this is not the slick but so slow Nike flash site, but a third party.
Sorry to sound thick :embarrassed: but do you need nike trainers to use the sportsband?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi
the easiest way to start with is to set the trip in your car to zero and then drive a small circular route, then make a note of land marks along the way say at 1mile, 2mile etc. keep your first route short say a max of 3 miles and you can do the rest with a normal wrist watch.
As has been said before don't get hung up on your times just run walk and run again and eventually you will find you will get round in one hit, varying your route helps as well as it can get a bit boring.

happy running
smithy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts