Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad: Hi this beautiful irish countryside is lost on me since i am constantly worried that I can't outrun these dogs who want to bite me, yes bite me! i feel their teeth snap at me heels. Anyone having this problem.

·
Registered
634 Posts
This is a really common problem - have a look at the "Dogs Part 2" thread in the General Forum.
I used to have every run spoiled by dogs chasing me - I was never bitten, but it's a really uncomfortable feeling when you know they're out there waiting for some poor fool (usually me) to come jogging past in a pair of shorts - and you always feel so much more vulnerable when you're wearing shorts...nothing else for them to grab hold of!
I tried talking to the owners - who were very nice - but did nothing other than assure me that their dogs hadn't bitten anyone yet. YET!
We've now moved to West Cork and I've found a dog-free / traffic-free route with sea views...bliss...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I really hate this, dogs are one of my phobia's and its not pleasant being chased by a large one.

We need something like cordened off area's for dogs in parks etc.

Jan

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Poor dogs getting all this bad press. I have two dogs and I have tried a really radical method well it seems radical to some dog owners. It is called basic training. I say sit dogs sit, I say heel dogs return to my heel or stay at heel if I'm moving, if they are far away single longer blow on the whistle they sit, three chirps on the whistle they come back. It's not rocket science. Can't stand untrained dogs. They are a danger to others and themselves. I'm a firm believer that there are no bad dogs only bad owners.

Squint

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Squint said:
Poor dogs getting all this bad press. I have two dogs and I have tried a really radical method well it seems radical to some dog owners. It is called basic training. I say sit dogs sit, I say heel dogs return to my heel or stay at heel if I'm moving, if they are far away single longer blow on the whistle they sit, three chirps on the whistle they come back. It's not rocket science. Can't stand untrained dogs. They are a danger to others and themselves. I'm a firm believer that there are no bad dogs only bad owners.
Indeed Squint, but I fear you're in the minority! In saying that though, i've not had any dogs attack me for quite some time now (though I can't really remember passing any either, lol)

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Edward Chapman said:
I found that squirting water at them from a bottle sends the little blighters on their way. If you are using a camelpac have a big drink and spit it out at them. A little bit uncouth but effective.

That is a good idea, but knowing my luck I would end up choking or if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction it would probably go all over me, might just carry a water ooze instead :d

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've had my share of dog trouble in the past. (See many previous threads) But I was pleasantly surprised whilst (love that word) running around my local country park this week.
A man up ahead was walking along with his two dogs off the lead. As I approached he turned and said "You'll be OK mate. These are all right." As indeed they were and I thanked him as I ran off.
I was pretty sure before he spoke that these dogs would be OK. You can usually tell which ones are going to be a problem when they gallop towards you as soon a they sniff runner, sweat and muscle rub.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Mostly the dog owners where I live seem pretty responsible. I passed (twice) a couple with two excitable young dogs a couple of weeks ago, and they not only had them on leads, but held onto the dogs firmly when I went past.

The one exception was the old bloke who said "Don't worry about him, he won't bite. He'll try to jump up but just put a hand on his head". What?! :eek: I don't like dogs, hate them jumping up at me and have no wish whatsoever to touch your dog. Apart from anything else, that means putting my hand within a quick snap of its teeth. No thanks. The dog did, indeed, try to jump up and I did have to put my hand on it to stop it. I glared hard at the old man but he was oblivious to my discomfort. I was on a walk break at the time and I'm sure it would have been even worse if I'd been running :( Thankfully that's the only time I've seen them so far, but it was just round the corner from my house, so I expect to see them again some time. I'll have to think of something to say so I'm prepared next time. I was just so taken aback by his attitude that I didn't know what to say.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts