Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Since I started training for my first 10K and consequently doing alot more road work than usual, I have been getting pain just below my inner calf on both legs. The pain seems to be in the area directly below the calf and above the ankle joint. The first time I really noticed it was after a fairly quick (for me anyway) 3.5 mile run and I could barely stand up afterwards .... it did ease off with stretching though but didn't disapear completely. Since then (around 2 weeks or so) the pain has been there pretty much continually in varying degrees of discomfort. I initially thought it was muscle strain but it hasn't improved at all. I had ruled out shin splints to begin with because it doesn't feel like the shin itself thats causing the pain, but having just read an article on the subject I'm now wondering whether it could be the case after all.

Any advice anyone could give me would be fab ...... my race is on Sunday and I really want to do it but am now not sure whether its wise to do so! :(

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Sounds painful.
Shin splints aren't funny...not sure that is what you have but sounds like it might be.
Only real "cure" I believe is rest I'm afraid.

Have to say though I'd still do the race on Sunday if it was me..'cos I don't follow my advice!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Steve,

I'm not very good at taking my own advice either! :p

I've still carried on training and the pain has never been as bad as it was on that first day but I just assumed it was muscle strain. Maybe I should just ice pack it before the race .... I don't want to put myself out of action though ..... I've already had that once this year with a knee injury!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Ice will help I'm sure.
I've not had shin splints for ages.............fancy saying that I'm bound to suffer them shortly now aren't I!!!....but when I did I think I just streched my toes upwards and then lifted my heels off the floor just pushing up with my toes.
Also during a run I changed stride patterns and my pace.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
don't just ice it before the race Sarah... ice it regularly to encourage it to repair, hopefully come race day you won't do so much damage :) don't forget compression and elevation too ;)

·
Registered
635 Posts
The advice I got for shin splints was to try and take smaller steps while running and I think it did the trick. I also iced and used a elasticated support to help. Whether it all worked I dont know mabey it just sorted it self out.:confused:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the advice everyone. I went for a run last night (3.5 miles) ice packed both legs when I got back and the result was amazing! Took almost all of the pain away almost immediately! :d

·
Registered
264 Posts
Thank you for the advice everyone. I went for a run last night (3.5 miles) ice packed both legs when I got back and the result was amazing! Took almost all of the pain away almost immediately! :d
Hi Sarah, quite curious to know if the pain stayed away the following day as well. I've never tried icing my legs but may try now.

·
Registered
119 Posts
if the pain goes away that quickly it may just be that you have upped the milage and the lactic acid is building up more than normal in your calves, this could subside with time or it could be full blown shin splints.... keep up with the ice and make sure your shoes aren't too worn, biggest cause of this problem i see is people who are running in shoes which are either worn out or not giving enough support.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Sarah, quite curious to know if the pain stayed away the following day as well. I've never tried icing my legs but may try now.
I've had a few slight twinges today but nothing compared to recently! I havn't run today but ice-packed them anyway while watching the TV earlier. I wish I'd done this sooner .... I think it would certainly have saved me alot of discomfort! :) I used to wonder why Paula Radcliffe likes to sit in a bath of freezing water before a marathon .... I think I might have an idea now! :p

Footman, my shoes are 6 months old but have only done average mileage due to a knee injury earlier in the year. I'm pretty sure that my current problem is due to my sudden increase in mileage and the fact that I'm now doing alot more road work than I used to do. I'm hoping that the icing will sort it out .... don't really want to have to take time off running again!

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Sounds almost identical to my pain. I am certain it is due to the increased mileage as I was fine before.

I have been stretching in the car whilst on the motorway and that helps loads

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Indeed it is Ped... though with the mileage that Paula does, I think virtually anytime that she isn't running can be classed as 'after running' lol.

I was wondering about getting a bin setup in the garden to fill with cold water. I find the cryotherapy treatement works well, but I'd rather stand in ice cold water that doesn't quite reach my bits than have to sit in it up to my mid-riff

·
Registered
119 Posts
Sarah, sounds like it is upping the milage which has caused it....... ice ice ice and go easy...a sports massage could be a nice treat [sorry torture]

just out of interest.... when you say average milage what is that???? if you do 10miles a week a shoe will last about a year, 20miles a week and 6months is about it etc etc [based on average 500miles from a shoe, less for heavier person more for lighter person]

·
Registered
264 Posts
I've had a few slight twinges today but nothing compared to recently! I havn't run today but ice-packed them anyway while watching the TV earlier. I wish I'd done this sooner .... I think it would certainly have saved me alot of discomfort! :) I used to wonder why Paula Radcliffe likes to sit in a bath of freezing water before a marathon .... I think I might have an idea now! :p

Footman, my shoes are 6 months old but have only done average mileage due to a knee injury earlier in the year. I'm pretty sure that my current problem is due to my sudden increase in mileage and the fact that I'm now doing alot more road work than I used to do. I'm hoping that the icing will sort it out .... don't really want to have to take time off running again!
I think I'm going to buy some ice-packs tomorrow and try them on my shins, having said that, its a bit early to tell but I'm sure my shins are easing off a bit since getting my gait analysed and new running shoes.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Footman, my mileage before I started my 10K training was only around 8 - 10 miles a week I think. Recently its been more like 12 - 16 so I'm sure I've got a few miles in my trainers yet. I have to admit that I have never had my gait analyzed when buying shoes (very naughty of me I know) .... but I've promised myself that when I get my next pair I'll go and get it done properly! :d

Singularity, I'd thoroughly recommend getting ice packs. I've been walking round town with my daughter all day and my legs have felt fine ... not a single twinge! :p

1 - 20 of 29 Posts