Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm looking for a watch type thing with GPS that tracks my running but I have some quite specific requirements:

> It should know when I'm doing a route I've done before

> I should be able to configure it to talk to me whilst I'm running to tell me things like
"You are 20 seconds behind your previous run"
or
"You are 10 seconds ahead of the average of your last 10 runs"
etc.

Is there anything that can do this kind of thing?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a TomTom runner 3. I can save you some time. It does not do these things. I dont think any TomTom will.

- It will auto sync from the tomtom website to strava, and then strava knows if you have run a route before. Not as good as live feedback.
- I don't think it will talk to you. You can get it to tell you current pace and average pace for a lap. For example, if you are doing 10km and set it for 1km "laps" if your pace is 4:00 min/km you can work out if that is ahead or not. this takes no account of hills etc, so is a bit less good than time on a previous route.

·
Registered
841 Posts
You can get close if you define a Strava segment (and optionally set it to private) mark it as a favourite so that the segement syncs to a compatible Garmin watch, then use such a watch set to use Strava segments. It will then warn you when approaching the segment, and display your progress in that segment relative to your previous efforts or the place above you in the leaderboard for that segment. A segment could be a long loop that you call a route. None of this is with speech though.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The Apple watch strava app can give you audio cues so it speaks to you ever km or mile, it tells you the total distance, time and the pace for the last split.
Strava will know if you've done the route before and show you matched runs when you look at your run online afterwards, I don't think you can put routes on the watch to follow or anything like that.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Several Garmin watches have (or they used to) a 'Virtual partner' or 'Virtual Racer' mode. I tried the Virtual Racer once on my old Garmin 610 and it worked quite well. On your watch you select that mode, then select a previous run from the history and off you go. it gave me a little image of a stick man (i.e. me on my previous run) on the watch and an indicator if i am behind or ahead of him/me. Think it beeped as well. It didn't talk though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDhzb7eGnhE

1 - 5 of 5 Posts