Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a chance I could get a place via my club for the London Marathon. Priority goes to those who have failed via a ballot entry but I could still put my name down and get a place.
So the question is, do I put my name down even though I am planning on doing Edinburgh Marathon as well or should I concentrate on one marathon a year?

O.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
DO IT DO IT (steve you have to shout it :lol:)

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
it rather depends on what you want to get out of them O. some people do 7 marathon in 7 consecutive days, I don't suppose they necessarily run them all :nuts:

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
....so there is one month in between them? Not sure how recovery works but if you are going flat at it in the London, it might take more than a month to repair?? Whatever you do, you don't want to go at it half-heartedly treating it as 'training' for the next.

I would look at marathons a few months after Edinburgh instead.... but thats just me (wimp!!) It sounds like you are seriously considering it though - you know your own body and your own capabilities!

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Edinburgh is my main aim as I want to improve on my time from last year so if I did get in to London I would probably not go flat out at trying to get a PB.

Oh this is a tough one......if I didnt do London I would just do Edinburgh in 2009 anyway, its not that I want to do 2 I just want to do London and Ive already signed up for Edinburgh which I want to get a PB on :)

O.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I'm going to go against the grain a little here (as usual ;)) and say that if your main aim is the latter of the two... I wouldn't bother with the first.

26.2 miles takes a LOT out of your body, and whilst it may seem nice to do it as an extended training run, not many people could enter a race like London and genuinely run it conservatively and leave something in the tank.

If you're genuinely unsure, then perhaps think about the other club members? How would you feel if you wanted to race FLM next year, but the clubs place went to someone who was running another marathon 4 weeks later and just wanted to use London as a training run? I'm not trying to say that should be a deciding factor, or trying to give you a guilt trip, lol... but worth considering?

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
I'm going to go against the grain a little here (as usual ;)) and say that if your main aim is the latter of the two... I wouldn't bother with the first.

26.2 miles takes a LOT out of your body, and whilst it may seem nice to do it as an extended training run, not many people could enter a race like London and genuinely run it conservatively and leave something in the tank.
Thats what I was trying to say (so not completely against the grain Rich!!) - when I said look at marathons a few months after Edinburgh - I meant give Edinburgh your all, then book something after if you feel like it, but would probably not do London and compromise Edinburgh.

Rich has a better way with words than me!

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good posts guys....you have a point Richard, if I was going all out for London then I would probably go for it but if someone else wants the place and they are "racing" it then they should get the chance to do it. Thinking about it, after Edinburgh this year I took 2 weeks off running, so that leaves me two weeks for Edinburgh....na, this is silly thinking about doing both in the same year. Will enter the ballot for London 2010 and if I don't get in then do Edinburgh :)

Thanks everyone, *sits back and focuses on Edinburgh*.

O.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts