Runners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really fancy the idea of getting through my first marathon (full) on a great big carb fest the day before, a hearty breakfast, water and perhaps a banana from my boyfriend at the half-way mark.

I want to do it the natural way...Anyone else taken the hardcore route and said 'no' to all fancy sports supplement things?

During training, where my max distance was 22 miles, I never had anything but water to keep me going (and a mahooosive meal the day before), and I haven't yet become acquainted with 'the wall' (unless a slightly panicky fast heartrate for 30 secs at mile 20 counts as 'the wall'...)

Felt great afterwards too - like there was lots of energy left in me...

But with the Nottingham marathon next Sunday, I'm suddenly worried that I should be drinking lucozade 'just in case' I have an unexpected energy slump, need an emergency fix and have nowt else (apparently you shouldn't have it on the day if you've not drunk it before, as it'll give you a dodgy tummy... is this always the case? I've got a pretty strong stomach usually!!). I'm also worried about salt levels - or is this only a danger in hot weather?

Argh! So much confusion! Advice would be much appreciated!

(fyi, I'm 25, female, 9.5 stones, sturdy, cross train as well as running, so good cardio fitness, and aiming for 3hrs 55 mins...1st half of course is gently undulating, second is flat - if all that's any help??)

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
My advice would be if you have not drunk Lucozade whilst training then steer clear, you've no idea how you would feel. When I ran mine I carried a bottle of 1/2 water 1/2 OJ and a big lump of sugar and the rest of the way used the bottled water (and the odd jelly baby that was handed out). My friend used Lucozade gels on the way around but he had trained with them and found they gave him a boost.

Good luck on Sunday week.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
yep... what Granty said :)

Don't try anything on the day that you haven't tried in training

Good luck, I loved Nottingham marathon when I did it a few years ago :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Question from a silly American girl: What the heck is Lucozade? Some sort of sports drink I assume, but I've honestly never heard of it or seen it in a store.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Yuckozade is a brand in the uk. They do a variety of sports drinks, energy gels etc. Their original core product is like marmite (you either love it or hate it) and has the addictive properties of cocaine. Mrs hrun drinks around 4 bottles a day. It is 300 plus calories a bottle and then she moans she doesn't lose weight. I won't let it pass my lips it is so disgusting.

Lucozade Website

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
UK equivalent of Gatorade?

If you've not had it before then I wouldn't try it... would certainly be worth ensuring you consume carbs during the event though, and there's plenty of 'natural' ways of doing it :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've never been the biggest fan of Lucozade myself, I don't know if it's just me, but I find it way too syrupy and really feel it swirling around in my stomach. I had a couple during a race once and although I'd been drinking it in training, I hadn't had it when really pushing myself and my stomach felt awful after which I'm sure was down to that. But I'm sure it does work for a lot of people, like everyone's been saying, try it in training, but I'd make sure you try it for a good few sessions before deciding as I came a cropper even though I had!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool - thanks everyone! (and for the good luck wishes!) I think I'm gonna go for the OJ/water mixture, eat my nice ripe banana at 13 miles and have a lump of sugar in my pocket just in case. Beyond that, I'm sure my plentiful fat reserves will get me through...and assuming the weather's like this next weekend (cold and sh1te!) I'm sure I don't need to worry about my salt levels too much...Ta once again :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Stick to what you know.... I wouldnt be a fan of gatorade or Lucozade type drinks as i find them sticky and to much to take if drinking in large amounts. For stick to what you know. Personally I like to use lemon flavoured Isostar or Powerbar powder mixed with water which are nice and easy to drink, and at the same time is giving you a top up of carbs.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Question from a silly American girl: What the heck is Lucozade? Some sort of sports drink I assume, but I've honestly never heard of it or seen it in a store.
It actually originated as a drink to give people who were ill... years ago you'd always see a big bottle of the bright orange stuff at hospital bedsides.

Now it's mainly a sports drink, of which there are numerous types.

Some of the Lucozade varieties are pretty naff, and very sweet, but I get on really well with Lucozade Sport, particularly in races

·
Registered
419 Posts
Just to show there's different answers to everything...

I've tried new drinks on race day and had OK results - e.g. drinking my first ever Extran in Holland tri, my first PowerBar in Rio marathon, my first Gatorade in Barcelona marathon. Admittedly these are all variants on carb drinks but it's a bit of a pirate thing to try something new on race day - not ideal but kind of adds to the excitement - bit like gambling ;)

I've alse raced a couple of maras without energy drinks and these have been fine too...

Personally I'd go with most of the flow above - stick to your own fuelling strategy. However, I might be tempted to grab a Lucozade drink if you need a quick sugar boost around 20 miles...

Hooray for fence sitting!

·
Registered
835 Posts
It actually originated as a drink to give people who were ill... years ago you'd always see a big bottle of the bright orange stuff at hospital bedsides.

Now it's mainly a sports drink, of which there are numerous types.

Some of the Lucozade varieties are pretty naff, and very sweet, but I get on really well with Lucozade Sport, particularly in races
That's right! Being a frequent hospital patient in my child hood (twice a year for six years) I can vouch that it was all that was ever brought in for me to drink. I hated the stuff and always thought it looked like a bottle of pi$$ siting on the bedside table! To this day I haven't told my Mother that she got that bit horribly wrong.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Turns out bananas (very ripe) are the way forward! Completed the race yesterday (my first) in 4 hours 7 mins, not a hint of the wall, pegged it the last 2 miles and finished feeling I could go further - I only wish I'd been less cautious in the first half, gone a bit faster and wrapped the thing up in under 4 hours! 1/2 very ripe banana at 13 miles, another 1/2 at 19 miles, another 1/2 at 22. Oh, and 3 jelly babies. And a bottle with half-OJ half-water, sipped slowly all the way, with water in between. What a great feeling running past all those club runners, walking, clutching their little pouches of lucozade. Next time, I will adopt the same strategy and see if it works for a 3 hr 55 finish time. Pretty sure I can do it! Watch this space!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts