Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is it with runners who are out in the dark now, wearing black all over and without even so much as a reflective wrist-band to give drivers a chance of seeing them?

I was driving home last night and spotted such a lunatic waiting to cross the road as I was driving into our village. I only saw him right at the last minute, just as I was passing him, and if he hadn't been paying attention for some reason and had crossed the road in front of me, it could have all been very messy. :(

Even if you don't have any hi-vis stuff (which I don't right now, except for a reflective wrist-band), at least wear a light-coloured top for gawd's sake. Please. I don't want runner's blood all over the front of my car :mad::lol:

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Madness.

We'll be reading about some runner or other whose left this world soon due to this inability to be seen.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I understand this post may raise some issues for debate but I feel it's worth mentioning.

Whilst I completely agree with what you're saying and it'd be STUPID to not make yourself as visible as possible whilst out running in the dark...

Drivers should only be travelling at a speed whereby they're able to spot and avoid any hazards in the road. If a driver is not able to clearly see what's happening ahead, including anything at the sides of the road, then they're travelling too fast for the situation. Too fast for the situation does not mean 'above the desginated speed limit', but too fast to be able to take appropriate action to avoid an avoidable incident.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Agreed RS. Drivers owe a duty of care to all road users.

Runners must look after themselves too though and make life easier for car drivers by wearing light colours and high vis clothes.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
when i was doing my motorcyle lessons.. the instructor told me that the speed limits are there to indicate a maximum speed.. and not a compulsary speed... i should then tailor my speed to the conditions. if only more people did the entire country wouldnt come to a stand still and the slight mention of that white fluffy stuff

·
Registered
6 Posts
I run a route late afternoon Mon to Fri when it is still quite light (half four to half five) and although I wear black I wear a high vis vest and (flashing armbands - altho never have them flashing, but they are lit up in red). My route is around country lanes where I live and I am amazed at how many cars come so close to me. I am not sure if they do it to frighten me or just because they don't give a damn, but I have had some narrow escapes where I have had to jump onto the verge. When people pull out and give me a wide berth, I always thank them... I just think some people don't like runners or cyclists.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
its not just runners and cyclists.. cars drivers are all nice and snug in their safe metal caccoon that they quite often too distracted by the radio, mobile, fiddling with heating etc to think about how their driving actions affect other road users...

yesterday morning on my motorbike i was going roung a round-about on my way to work, i was in the correct lane, signaling etc to pull off at the next exit.. some ejit in a white transit comes whizzing down a slip road and then slams his brakes on at the last minute. i saw him coming and had clenched ready for impact/ ready to take avoidance. he then stops overhanging the end of the road by about 3-4 foot... exactly where i would have prob gone to make my exit. of course i gave him suitable hand gestures but he just looked at me as if to say "whats the problem"

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, it's definitely not just cyclists and runners, drivers seem intent on taking out other drivers too. Just this week on my (actually relatively civilised) route to and from work, I've:

* had to slam my brakes on hard twice, as other cars have pulled out in front of me

* had 2 people tailgating me, extremely dangerously close, despite my driving at the speed limit (safely! - it's a 50 limit on a good clear road, and was dry and in broad daylight)

* had to swerve to avoid a van which stopped about 3 feet over the line at the t-junction I was driving past

* had a motorbike overtake the car going the other way, as I was passing it, when there really wasn't enough space for such a maneouvre

* had a (not very high) small lorry swerve into the middle of the road, straight at me, while going under a low bridge (which tall vehicles are supposed to go under in the middle, but he wasn't anywhere near tall enough to need to do so), and then thank me for letting him through, as if I'd voluntarily slowed down to allow him through.

And that's by no means the worst of what I've experienced over the last 3 months of commuting by car, it's just this week's tally.

It's a combination of terrible impatience, combined with appalling carelessness and a total lack of respect for other road users.

This being, apparently, normal for the roads today, though, just makes joggers all in black seem even more insane :eek:

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Whilst I agree that you should make yourself as visible as possible. I think drivers should always expect the unexpected.
As someone that drives in London for a living, I witness complete stupidity by other drivers,runners but more particularly cyclists and pedestrians on a daily basis.
I don't see the difference between a jogger or someone that is walking along at night wearing dark clothing. Drivers should be as considerate as possible.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't see the difference between a jogger or someone that is walking along at night wearing dark clothing.
Indeed. But then I also think anyone out walking, or cycling, outside of streetlit areas, at night wearing all black is also foolish.

Drivers should be as considerate as possible.
Agreed, but they're only human, and even the best driver, when driving along with bright headlights in their eyes from oncoming traffic, is going to find it difficult to spot a darkly-dressed jogger on an unlit road.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did say that it was outside my village. I don't think many country roads have streetlighting :p

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Please tell the people of Clapham, Balham and Chelsea that they don't live in villages even though they have street lighting. Estate agents have a lot to answer for. :lol:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Please tell the people of Clapham, Balham and Chelsea that they don't live in villages even though they have street lighting. Estate agents have a lot to answer for. :lol:
If they haven't already worked it out for themselves, I don't think they're likely to believe me when I tell them - they're clearly living in their own little world. :lol:

·
Registered
98 Posts
I don't like to be seen.

In the summer I get abuse from people shouting out of cars, and in the winter not a word.

I think it depends where you live and your routes whether its worth while getting some high viz gear.

Most my routes are done on the pavement, I cross at crossing and quiet roads where this is hardly any traffic.

·
Registered
674 Posts
It's down to both parties I think, be seen if you're not in a car, and drive to the conditions if you are.

However, I do er very slightly on the side of so-called 'vulnerable' road users for the most part as I've seen some horrendous things as driver, passenger, runner, cyclist and horse rider... For the most part, the driver with a tonne or more of metal behind them is going to cause the most problems!

·
Registered
295 Posts
thought about this recently, i bought a yellow nike therma top but the black one's were much nicer :confused:

btw you can not rely on drivers to be sensible so its up to us to be cautious

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
H do you carry a box of Milk Tray as you run??

Whilst I agree to some extent with RS, there are many many circumstances whereby to drive slowly enough to be able to stop or avoid every potential obstacle that may occur is totally impracticable. Also if you are running on the road you have a duty to yourself to make sure you can be seen by traffic as is stated in the Highway Code. If you are running along an unlit road at night dressed in dark colours it is very difficult to be seen by a motorist and due care and attention must be used. In such circumstances I feel that if someone is hit by a car it is their fault, on the other hand if you are brightly dressed and or using reflective/high visibility materials then the blame must shift towards the driver. However in my own experience there is seldom an occasion happens where should a vehicle be to close that I can't get off the road to avoid being hit, as inconvenient as this is it is preferable to being run over. You must ask yourself is it better to get muddy feet be annoyed and maybe look a bit daft in reflective stripes or dead??

My tuppence worth.

·
Registered
152 Posts
H do you carry a box of Milk Tray as you run??

Whilst I agree to some extent with RS, there are many many circumstances whereby to drive slowly enough to be able to stop or avoid every potential obstacle that may occur is totally impracticable. Also if you are running on the road you have a duty to yourself to make sure you can be seen by traffic as is stated in the Highway Code. If you are running along an unlit road at night dressed in dark colours it is very difficult to be seen by a motorist and due care and attention must be used. In such circumstances I feel that if someone is hit by a car it is their fault, on the other hand if you are brightly dressed and or using reflective/high visibility materials then the blame must shift towards the driver. However in my own experience there is seldom an occasion happens where should a vehicle be to close that I can't get off the road to avoid being hit, as inconvenient as this is it is preferable to being run over. You must ask yourself is it better to get muddy feet be annoyed and maybe look a bit daft in reflective stripes or dead??

My tuppence worth.
Yep - I gotta agree with all of that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts