Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I like to do at least one session in the gym. Firstly, it helps me look a bit more toned that I otherwise would. Secondly, I feel that squats/leg presses and calf raises really help my running.

If running is your main sport now, it might be worthwhile approaching the weights a bit differently from when you were doing bodybuilding.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I go to the gym during winter months, mainly for a general tone up of my ancient body and for improving core stability to hopefully make running less stressful. Apart from the expense I love going to the gym but see no reason to go during the warmer months when I can derive all my fitness from running the hills in magical surroundings.
Cheers!

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
skillipedia said:
Do you still need to do your gym workout (weights) if you are a fit and a good runner?
Er, what's a gym? :rolleyes:

:d No, I've never been to a gym in my life. But that's just me. I've never really had the time or the inclination (not my scene, man!).
Too busy running.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Never really been into going to the gym, I play squash and football to compliment the running. (made a huge difference to my squash game)

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I did go to the gym, I cancelled last summer since the weather was so nice and it was easier to just go for a run.

I think there are a lot of wexercises which help with running, also doing some bike work or rowing builds up the other muscles in your leg and stops them getting out of balance.

Plus, when it's cold and wet out, it's soemtimes nicer to do a few miles on a treadmill

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Should work a bit on my arms and shoulders... But it's always "too close to a big race" to start dong it... I know... Master Procrastinator...:embarrassed:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts