Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,437 Posts
I'm sure I've read somewhere that Skimmed milk contains lactose that can leave you feeling bloated if consumed in excess

I can't stand the stuff, it's milk with all the goodness taken out. - full fat anyday ! :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,640 Posts
I drink skimmed milk all the time, not in great quantities only on cereal or in tea and coffee, I am so used to it now that I find normal milk too rich. :d
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,190 Posts
I'm with Twinks I even find semi-skimmed too rich now. Maybe go back to semi-skimmed then or try dairy free alternatives.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
I'm the same. Once you switch it doesn't take long to get used to. The difference in fat content is huge.
Full fat milk = 22 grams of fat per pint
Semi-skimmed milk = 10 grams of fat per pint
Skimmed milk = 0.5 grams of fat per pint

From an interesting article HERE (hope it's ok to post links)

"Skimmed milk contains 0.1 per cent fat and about half the calories of the full-fat version. However, even though fat is removed, it still retains most of its nutrients.

In fact, skimmed cow's milk contains slightly more calcium than full-fat milk because calcium is found in the watery part, not the creamy part.

For this reason, women who are post menopausal or who have a family history of osteoporosis should choose skimmed milk in preference to whole. It also contains more water- soluble B vitamins.

But while skimmed milk is a perfect health drink for adults and is excellent as part of a fatcontrolled diet, it should not be given to children under five because of its low calorie, fat and vitamin content.

It is also an excellent alternative to full-cream milk for those who suffer irritable bowel syndrome, since fat-rich foods are thought to aggravate the condition."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,495 Posts
The only time I drink milk is to mix my protein drinks once or twice a week.

Then it is Semi-Skimmed.

Did try using Water................:eek:...Not Good
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,889 Posts
I suffer with IBS and still cant work out what bloats me out .. I drink semi skimmed milk in tea and i have a tiny bit on my cereal.

You tried Goats Milk thats supposed to be good for not the bloated effect or even Soya Milk :d (not sure what it will taste like though ;) )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,654 Posts
LEECE said:
You tried Goats Milk thats supposed to be good for not the bloated effect or even Soya Milk :d (not sure what it will taste like though ;) )
SWMBO uses goats milk too...on cereals..takes her drinks black.
GM tastes fine by me...just as well as it costs a bit more!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,889 Posts
You should get your own goat Steve

You produce all your own other stuff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,493 Posts
twinkle toes said:
I drink skimmed milk all the time, not in great quantities only on cereal or in tea and coffee, I am so used to it now that I find normal milk too rich. :d
..

ditto :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,654 Posts
LEECE said:
You should get your own goat Steve

You produce all your own other stuff

Now there's a thought.....but would it eat all the other stuff?!:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,190 Posts
Bagpuss said:
Any milk...yuk, never touch the stuff, only water, decent back coffee or alcohol for me.
even on your oats? :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,640 Posts
Steady Edwina said:
even on your oats? :p
I only have water on my oats but do have some honey as well:p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
813 Posts
Steady Edwina said:
even on your oats? :p

Yep, even on my oats S.E. I have been told that if I have cereal like branflakes it smells like horse feed. I do have milk in the form of custard or icecream.....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! would never kiss anyone if they had milk on their lips...yuk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,640 Posts
Bagpuss said:
Yep, even on my oats S.E. I have been told that if I have cereal like branflakes it smells like horse feed. I do have milk in the form of custard or icecream.....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! would never kiss anyone if they had milk on their lips...yuk

how strange..... ;)
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top