Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
skillipedia said:
I find it very hard to run when the wind is blowing. I try to run whatever is the weather but when it's windy I find it's almost impossible to finish my run
Strong wind is my least favourite weather condition to run in. It plays havoc with breathing and balance.
If it's daylight, I'll try to head for wooded areas for the shelter that the trees offer. When it's dark, I'll stay on the local housing estate. It's situated on the side of a hill and is quite often sheltered.
But in the past, the majority of my running was done going both to and from work. There was no (reasonable) alternative means to do the journey which meant that I often had to run almost the whole way into the wind (5 miles). It was uncanny how often there would be a headwind in both directions! :rolleyes:
In those circumstances, you just learn to run in whatever conditions meet you when you step out of the door.

I remember a training diary entry from 1979 where I've written something like: "... No run today. Too windy!" :eek: I embarrass myself every time I read that one! :embarrassed:

·
Registered
664 Posts
Once the wind gets up it can undoubtedly lead to some of the toughest running you'll face. thing is, if you intend entering races who knows what conditions will be on the day, so it's good to have gone through a variety of scenarios in training. Mind you it got a bit extreme last week, ran home on Tuesday night to discover the following day one of the streets I'd gone along was now closed due to roof debris which had come off in the storm (fortunately a couple of hours after I'd passed !

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I end up laughing when I run in strong winds, it can get ridiculous! I seem to put in so much effort yet feel like i'm stood in the same spot :d It never puts me off though, as long as I have my windproof top to keep me warm I'll get round, admitedly in a much slower time but it makes the run 'different' at least!

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I actually like to run in the wind once in while. You get a far tougher workout. I once ran my normal 6 mile route in a really strong wind. Basically its running 3 miles out, then 3 miles back the same route. On the way out, there was an unbelievable headwind. I almost felt I was stood still. the first 3 miles took me 25 minutes to complete. But the run back was amazing. I had the tailwind to take me home. Ran the 3 miles back in about 18 minutes with very little effort.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Living on the north coast of Cornwall I have to run in the wind. It can be a great training aid. Running into the wind is tough and helps with improving cardiovascular fitness. Running with the wind helps improve leg turnover speed. Cross winds help to improve balance and get you used to running when it is tough.

I love windy days because they add something extra to the training. I just have to be careful not to be blown off the cliffs.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I don't mind training in the wind as long as its not all the time, definately makes the training run harder and get a better workout.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I ran in strong wind yesterday and it was tough. I was having an achey leg day to start with and was tired from work so it was even worse with the strong wind. I have a treadmill in the garage but it's for dire weather only and it can get boring, so I still run outdoors when it's windy. I live on the North East coast so a main part of my run takes me along the sea front where the wind gets heavy at times. I think I've learned to try to just deal with it and enjoy the exercise part of the run rather than cursing the weather. It does seem to hamper your balance and mess with your breathing though, and it's hard to settle into a pace, I've noticed that.

·
Registered
707 Posts
For some strange reason, despite having been running ATLEAST 2 times a week, every week for the last 2 years or so, in the south, north and middle of the country, I can't recall ever running in strong wind... I'm sure it's happened at some point, probably when back in Aberdeen (north eash coast of scotland... probably one of the windier places in the UK)... so all I can say is, it probably makes little difference to me :) Either that, or Sheffield is a strangely still place... or I'm really lucky?!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts