Runners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious as to how many forum members tend to run their best times in race conditions. I've never ran a race (plan to do the great north run next year), so all my times are based on lone runs (well just me and my ipod). I've only run 13 miles once on a hilly circuit and posted a time of 1 hour 35 mins. Should I aim to go sub 1hr 30min at the great north run next year, or should I expect to run a slower time?

·
Registered
664 Posts
All my best times have come in races, a mix of adrenalin and also the chance to latch on to runners a little better than yourself. The one limiting factor can be congestion at the big events, which can delay settling into a proper pace in the early stages.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I agree totally with Don.All my best times have been in races.

I seem to be able to focus totally.

A big part of it for me is thinking that all the training miles mean nothing if I can`t do myself justice in a race.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I probably wouldn't use the GNR as PB material, I ran it last year for the experience, if I had gone for a PB I could have ended up dissapointed with all the weaving in and out.

Well supported race, but rather large.

You would do well in a smaller organised 1/2 and would smash 1:35 on a flatter course, so a sub 1:30 wouldn't be out of the question.

Good luck

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I'd say on a normal half (not congested and not too hilly) you could AIM for 1:25 and not be too far off! wouldn't recommend it at GNR though - especially if you get started further back.

EDIT: Forgot to say, all my best times are from races and I find it impossible to match and sustain race pace in training. I ran a 1:40:06reasonably hilly 13.16 miler yesterday and was tired at the end. Though I'm almost certain I could manage a 1:30 HM race on my current form. I believe race preparation including tapering, increased rest and improved diet (for me at least) also contribute to better times in race conditions.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I have to agree....getting to be a habit!!
Best times tend to come in races as one the chance to run with others who are running at your pace or just quicker...adrenalin alos kicks in of course.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Does the time difference between training and racing decrease with the distance?... well i mean of course it does... but as a percentage of the race time? or do people find it's fairly similar?

e.g. would a 45min 10k in training; 40min 10k race (5min diff) roughly equate to a 19min 5k race from a 21:30 training time (2.5min diff)?

Perhaps i'm getting a little anal over this :huh:

A

·
0 Posts
Trinity said:
That's what training is for... so you can run faster in races :)
Absolutely.

Otherwise, if you didn't run any faster in races then what would be the point of entering the race?:huh:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I once read a study (and I have lost the link..) which said that over all ages & men/women, the average increase in race performance vs training was around 3-5%

This was down to adrenaline on the day, wanting to beat club mates etc etc

From memory, the study got the runners to do the course of 5k loop and a 10k in normal civilian conditions but at "race pace" and then a couple of weeks after, complete in a race over the same course.

Surprisingly, it was the same with the group that did it the other way round (race followed by training session)

Above 10k there are many more factors like the weather/nutrition/choice of gear & kit etc

·
Registered
66 Posts
There is something about having a number on your front and other runners around that makes you give a bit extra. Judging by the tiredness of my limbs today I certainly did yesterday.

As I found out, if you want to get a good time for a 13 miler, make sure you start near the front so as not to get swamped down with the slower folk. I reckon an extra 10 minutes was added to my time, just trying to get past folk and run at my own pace.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts