Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.........mix heavy weights workouts with their running? Ive only just started running[and ive had to rest already after shin splints] but i also want to hold some muscle mass so ive stuck to a high protien diet,with plenty of carbs prior to running.

In the past i've just bulked and i felt unfit and sluggish. Ive got myself down to the 13 stone mark with just a few weeks running.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I like doing weights, in addition to running.

On the other hand, I know plenty of runners who can't stand going to the gym - they would much rather be outside running.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I guess it depends what you want from your running. You rarely see a long distance runner with bulky muscles but sprinters on the other hand tend to have quite large muscles.

I don't see any problem with keeping the muscles toned but I would suggest that if you want to run faster over distances 10 miles and above then lean and mean is best

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trinity said:
I guess it depends what you want from your running. You rarely see a long distance runner with bulky muscles but sprinters on the other hand tend to have quite large muscles.

I don't see any problem with keeping the muscles toned but I would suggest that if you want to run faster over distances 10 miles and above then lean and mean is best

Im far from bulky but i'd like to maintain the muscle ive got. Not for posing reasons either:embarrassed:

·
Registered
56 Posts
It depends what your priority is. If it's to stay 'bulky' then your running should be focused on shorter distances as fast as you can. If it's running longer distances you're interested in then that posing bulk is going to have to go ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts