Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No doubt we've all heard how physical exercise has an effect on your mental state, but just wondered how many of you have experienced it and to what level?

Exercise doesn't affect me physically - I don't lose or gain weight at all (which is quite annoying as I can't use it to monitor progress). I don't know whether it's just the weather or other factors, but I've not been out for about a month now, and I've really noticed a dip in my mental state.

I've signed up for the free BMF session in the hope that it'll kick-start me back to running too so we'll see.

Does lack of exercise affect you psychologically? How much?

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Not sure there is a definitive answer.....

........apart from YES!!
And loads.
:)

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I guess it's hard to quantify really, but I know it undoubtedly gives me thinking time - I can think things through as quickly or slowly as I like while running, and I seem to be able to think so much more clearly than if I'm sat at the desk or anywhere else in the house for that matter!

9 times outta 10 I'll come back from a run in a far better mood than before the run - though of course there's the odd run here and there that doesn't goto plan. On the whole though the pro's vastly outweigh the cons!

Bear in mind Nat that the physical benefits of running extend WAY beyond how much you weigh ;)

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
It makes a huge difference to me, and I think that any physical effects are at least as much as a consequence of my mental state than as a direct result of the exercise.

When I'm exercising regularly, I feel brighter, more alert, healthier, fitter (even if I can't possibly be fitter yet than I was only last week when I wasn't exercising), more positive, and I have more mental energy (ie, no "nah, can't be bothered to do that..."). In consequence, I eat more healthily (no need for chocolate to make me feel good), drink more water and less coffee (who needs caffeine when you've got the post-exercise buzz).

If I'm not exercising regularly, I slide gradually into feeling more and more lazy, I eat less healthily and more of it, my head starts to feel fuggy and I get more headaches. I'm also more grumpy and less positive about things. Because it happens gradually, I don't notice it all at once, but suddenly I wake up one morning feeling like a fat lazy slug and in desperate need of some exercise.

·
Registered
743 Posts
There's no doubt at all that I feel better 'in my head' from running. I don't really do much thinking whilst I'm out - but since I spend 97% of my time running 3 young children around and trying to remember what they need in their bags, where they should be and when, what they're going to eat and where etc etc - then NOT thinking is a bit of mental space for me.

Physically, the benefits I have gained from running (stronger, fitter, more supple etc) have stopped making me feel like I'm getting old (well I am 37), and that in itself makes me feel better about myself. When I'm back from a run, I just want to go and do it all over again (except my body wouldn't let me!!!!).

·
Registered
147 Posts
I definately find a big difference; I'm much more active when I'm running. By that, I mean just generally in everyday life, not whilst running itself. I'm much more likely to go out to parties/clubs and am much more confident in myself.

Not sure why this is, but when I'm running, I also eat better without really thinking about it - I just don't want the same amount of 'comfort' food (crisps specifically). Now I'm injured, my crisp consumption has gone through the roof!

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Mentally I've been very much affected by running and it's by products such as this forum!!

All for the better we think.

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Who me? No, well yes maybe just a lottle bit. But never conclusively at least not today! But sometimes in the juxtaposed transendental state I sometimes find myself yes .

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
No such thing as a bad run :) If I run 1 mile or 10 it is still a run. If you have a target and miss it then you could be disappointed. Not an issue if you just run for the joy of running.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
No such thing as a bad run :) If I run 1 mile or 10 it is still a run. If you have a target and miss it then you could be disappointed. Not an issue if you just run for the joy of running.
You're right Hrun! I do enjoy the running, thats why I get disappointed when I have a bad run or my shin splints start bothering me.

Needless to say, I couldn't run any of the distances I cover now as part of my standard training, so I should be glad I can run at all.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I believe any exercise really increases your serotonin levels and makes you feel happy :):):). I know a doctor who says that exercise is the most beneficial way to overcome depression - it releases chemicals in your body that are stronger than prescription drugs, so there you have it - running is most certainly GOOD! Let's do more.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Does running affect me mentally? I would say no. However, the voices in my head and my running partner, Harvey, who is a 6ft rabbit (an old friend of James Stewart) wouldn’t agree with me.:lol::lol:

On a more serious note running makes me happier, more alert throughout the day, more relaxed in the evening and when I am running I get to ponder the day ahead and get everything in mental order. I find when running (and swimming) I find solutions for many an irritating problem or worry.:d

·
Registered
152 Posts
Running helps me to put to bed the stresses and worries of the day. During a run I manage to get that days concerns into a much more clearer context. After a run, whilst I may feel physically tired, I also feel a whole lot more mentaly refreshed at the same time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think getting fitter and healthier certainly puts you in a more positive frame of mind and a better mood which will certainly do you good in other aspects of your life.

·
Registered
1 Posts
tonight i see my ex girlfriend , was in bits , crying on pavement , was about a mile away from home, im a reasonably fit person , train a couple of times a week but hardly ever just run , well tonight i run home , and i was happy by the end of the run , and now im happyyyyyyyy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts