Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been running on and off for years with no struggles but recently I can’t seem to do the distance I used to. I have bought new Brooks trainers which are comfortable yet I still get tight muscles and I am stopping to stretch. I was up to 10 miles and now I’m struggling to do 4. I can’t remember the last time I ran without discomfort / frustration / decent times. I’m 48 and just starting “that age thing”😳 could this be a factor?
I am well hydrated and eat properly and I sleep really well. Can someone offer any advice please? I just want to enjoy running again

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey there,
the answer to your question is: of course it gets easier! :)

You just have to build up your aerobic base again. What I mean by that is that you should start with 3-4 runs per week, except only do around 2-3 miles tops. Each week, consistently add 1-2 miles into your training. Remember, at this point, don't worry about the speed of your runs. Run slowly! After 4-5 weeks of building, take a week where you do a bit less miles, then add again for another 4-5 weeks. And stay consistent! Be sure to do light stretching before and after your runs as well, as this helps with recovery and injury prevention.

In summary: consistency and SLOW miles.

I actually have a video on the benefits of aerobic base training that I will leave here, and this weekend I will be posting exactly how to build your aerobic base smartly. So subscribe if you like the video and want to see more! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Matthew I really appreciate your reply and the time it took. I will try and do exactly what you suggest. I am a bit put off by the shorter run suggestion, does everyone have to go back to such basics when they get new running shoes? I was running twice the distance only a few weeks ago which is why I don’t understand the U turn I’ve done. Still, following your advice is worth a try.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well, when you get new shoes there is typically a break in period which differs from shoe to shoe. I've had shoes that have taken a very long time to break in, while some get broken in quickly.

Let me know how things go by following that advice. I know it's frustrating taking a step back, but to run injury free and still build, the slow, progressive route is the best route.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Imagine you are a castaway on a desert island
You have nothing, so what do you do?
  1. First you look for food and water to survive
  2. Then you look for shelter and security
  3. Then you try to make yourself comfortable
  4. Then you consider the future of staying on the island or trying to get off
  5. At this stage you consider your life stabilized as best you can
Now imagine you are a homeless person
The pattern will be much the same except your ‘island’ will be one of poverty, and you will spend your time trying to survive as comfortably and securely as possible, and accept a level of stability :cautious::rolleyes::sneaky:

Of course it gets easier! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts