Runners Forum banner

does running really make you happy?

4K views 32 replies 17 participants last post by  Katten 
#1 ·
I read that it does, ive been running on and off so i don't think I have felt the full effect yet.

#2 ·
Yes it does, especially as you feel yourself become fitter.

It was gorgeous on Wednesday and although I had already worked out on my cross trainer in the morning I just couldn't help going out later in the afternoon.

It was the first time I'd just worn shorts and short sleeves in this country since late last year.

Being out there in the sunshine, running through country lanes (and ankle deep puddles), breathing fresh air and feeling my body working hard up hills definitely made me happy

#8 ·
Like Trinity days like wednesday are great, you get a natural buzz, and like Steady always planning my next run.

It is constantly on my mind I can't remember the last time I came home from work and didn't feel like running... Don't get me wrong do enjoy my rest days also.

#16 ·
Have to agree with Steve........I never have to justify friday nights 5 pints and curry chaser!!!!!

Don't get me wrong...I eat a very healthy diet purely because I love healthy food.....but when I go off the rails I enjoy it all the more because I know I put the work in!

#18 ·
Have to agree with Steve........I never have to justify friday nights 5 pints and curry chaser!!!!!

Don't get me wrong...I eat a very healthy diet purely because I love healthy food.....but when I go off the rails I enjoy it all the more because I know I put the work in!

#21 ·
I tend not to have a lot of love for the period straight after a run, not particularly happy, but an overwhelming sense of calm befalls me. I suppose that's a good thing to feel, but my body usually interprets it as "I need sleep" and I can't do much after! Not through exhaustion just through torpor, it's like I go into hibernation mode.

Having said all that I'm usually quite happy when I reach for the fridge handle and tuck into something...no feelings of guilt.

Running in general, yes it makes me extremely happy, and it allows me to do more with my life. During the day I can bound up and down steps and get from A to B in a flash feeling nothing at all for my efforts.

#24 ·
I love how refreshed and alert I feel after going for a run, especially if I've felt tired and foggy-headed all day and the run clears it up.

It's nice to have the extra fitness also, nothing better than going for a walk with your friends, realising that they are 200 meters behind you complaining about the hill, then realising that there actually was a vague uphill there :cool:

#26 ·
Definitely running (in my case) is not always something I look forward to.
But 99% of days, even when I don't feel like going out for a run, it has a positive effect on me.

But when I feel fresh, or when the city is asleep on an early Sunday morning or in the middle of the night and I go out, or when I come across some wildlife, or just feel that I am One with Nature...

No wrods to describe it... Happy??? There should be a bigger word than that...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.