Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get a new dog and want a running partner who can work up to 8 to 10 mile runs at about 7:30 pace. Anyone out there want to share their canine runner suggestions based on your personal experience with your own dog. So if you have a purebred or mix that would excel at this distance and pace- please share. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
110 Posts
You want to be looking at a working breed. Border collies and spaniels will run happily. My dog loves to come running with myself or my wife. He's a crossbreed terrier - Border terrier dad X Lakeland terrier mum. Both dogs were working terriers. I've called his mum a Lakeland terrier as that's where I'm from in England and that's what we call them here, they are also called fell terriers - not a breed more a type. Anyway he runs great off the lead and is very transportable, he'll sit in the foot well of a car. He is about 10.5kg (23lbs) and 34cm (13.5") to the shoulder.
Here he is;

He will happily keep a 7:30 pace for 10k. I take him fell running and he will go for hours - which is what he was bred for.

The key is to build the distance up slowly and get the dog to have reasonable recall. Mine is OK unless he catches sight or scent of something.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the post Mark. I have had a German Shorthair Pointer and several Labs in the past. The GSH could do 10 miles with me when I was younger and faster and at the end, she would look at me like “why are we stopping.” I have been considering Jack Russel Terrier /Border Terrier type or mixed breed of that type but had never seen one do that kind of run. Thank you so very much for the post.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I googled and found a lost of 6 breeds suitable for endurance runners

·
Registered
110 Posts
All the breeds in that site would do the job no problem. As I posted earlier if you want something a bit smaller look at the working "fox" terriers, these were bred to run with the hounds before going to ground. Border, patterdale, Lakeland, parson Russell, fox etc are all capable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts