Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a little bit sick and tired of playing hopscotch with other peoples dog poo. In Salisbury and down by the river, bins are provided for dog poo in and around the childrens playground and it is common etiquette to pick up a dog's woopsie (or rather, round here - a deliberate dump). Down by the river where I run, there is a man made wooden causesway which everyone walks, cycles, runs along. It's just lovely to be striding along the wooden decking to then suddenly have to divert around a large, steaming, stinking t*rd !! :mad:
What makes me even angrier is that when I witness a dog owner allowing their mutt to do this, without clearing it up and just notchalantly wandering off with a 'Whatcha gonna do bout it ?!' look, I never feel brave enough to say anything as I might say something I'll regret and end up getting a torrent of abuse or even worse.
So, guys, having scraped the second 'woopsie' off one of my trainers in as many months and dreading to think what little children do when they trip on the chicken wire on the decking and land in one of these steaming mounds - Any canny tricks for making dog owners take some responsibility for their actions ??
No offence is intended to decent dog-walkers/runners on this forum - it's more the idle who live down my way I mean to get at. :cool:

·
Registered
392 Posts
If its ending up on your trainers anyway, next time you see it happening pick up your pace, swing your leg back and launch the mess all over the owner. Then at least when you clean it off it will make you smile.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The silent footstep... never had it happen to me so far when out running. Not a big fan of s**t on my expensive running shoes. I have thought about confronting dog owners before when they leave the poo behind, but never have.

·
Registered
506 Posts
on the fields near me when all the leaves fall off the bushes in winter there are bags of droppings hanging on all the branches. I don't mean one or two, I'm talking dozens!

·
Registered
298 Posts
As a runner and dog walker, I am in a dual over dog mess.... I do clear up after my dogs (rottys can dump alot!), but I also dont get that upset over it as growing up there was never this insanity of "clean" that is apparent these days. The whole kids argument annoys me, kids need to get dirty and hurt to grow up, wrapping them in cotton wool does them no good what so ever, and I will be so bold that it has a negative effect long term on us all. We are being brought up and brainwashed that all dirt is bad, just look at all the products sold to us in adverts to make our lives better, cleaner, safer and cleaner smelling. I do clean my dogs mess up, but only in certain areas, areas that others would care about, and I care not to upset other people. I live in the country, and walk amongst cow, sheep, fox, in fact every sort of shit you can imagine... dogs mess is not as wide spread, as smelly, as full of hormones as other shit you may find....

but, now my rant is over, I do understand in certain areas its not polite to leave dogs mess and it should not happen.... and if you want to make a dog owner feel guilty then carry some dogs mess bags with you on your run and if you see one allow their dog to mess in an area that is socially unacceptable, then hand them a bag and say "I assume you left yours at home", the most arrogant can not retort negatively to you without looking like a bloody moron.... because I assume you will only do this in areas that should have dogs mess cleared up, and not in the middle of the country in a field surrounded by cow, sheep, fox, in fact every sort of shit you can imagine...

I will now grab my coat.....

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is illegal not to pick up dog mess along this stretch of river, so there is really no excuse. I assume the above poster has never seen a toddler trip and fall into dog sh!t, then rub their tearful eyes with the very same hand that has just been in the turd...I assume you know about the severe illnesses this can cause (including blindness).
I grew up with horses and worked day in day out up to my neck in shite - I am not in the cotton wool brigade (I'm a blinkin cave diver for heavens sake !! :rolleyes: ) but I wore wellies and the shite was roughage based and not harmful. A bit of horse muck working its way onto my carpet was an annoyance, but easily dealt with when dry by hoover ! Dog poo - no, sorry, that's just vile. I deal with human diahorrea, vomit ,blood and pee all in my day job - but walking dog shite into my house without realising until it's too late really makes me mad. Yes, I do look where I'm going - but it just goes to show how much of the stuff there is lying around if you can pick it up without realising. And having to clean the stuff off my trainers and carpet makes me heave - it's a bit unfair as I don't even own a dog and I'm being made to handle dog poo !!! Nice eh ? :mad:
On a public walkway where the mess is just everywhere, it really is pretty foul. Perhaps next time I see someone letting their dog crap on the walkway, I should rub their nose in it. The owner I mean !!
I have nothing against dog walkers who are responsible, it's just the attitude of the irresponsible ones which grates me.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hi Cavegirl, I apologise for lobbing you into the "air bag culture" brigade, it was an unfair assumption. You focused on one part of my message, the rant, but seemed to ignore the sound advice. Seriously, take a couple of dog poo bags (they are cheap and light), and embarress the owner who is selfish enough to let his dog shit on a public walk way. It does work, I have done this as a dog walker.

In additon, and totally off topic, may I say as a BASE jumper, I have amazing respect for your other pastime (cave diving), I am sure that is incredibly rewarding. I know knowledge dispells fear etc, but I just could not bring myself to attempt such an activity! :)

Take it easy

M

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No problem ;) I'll try your tactic - most are regulars so it may reduce the amount of poo we have to dodge in the long run, never know ....

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Cave Diving and BASE jumping......................:eek:

Complete Madness.................:d

·
Registered
298 Posts
Dave said:
Cave Diving and BASE jumping......................:eek:

Complete Madness.................:d
Or if you look at it: Running, hard concrete, discomfort, pain, recurring niggles, mental and physical hardship, ups and downs, bad days, hard days, early mornings, cold wind and rain.... Complete Madness! :d :cool:

One mans madness is another mans sanity.... :d

:d

·
Registered
78 Posts
BASE813 said:
I do understand in certain areas its not polite to leave dogs mess and it should not happen.
It's not a question of politeness, it's more a question of public health; my cousin is blind in one eye as a result of "impolite" dog owners

Toxocariasis also may affect a child's eyes, causing decreased vision, swelling around the eyes, or a cross-eyed appearance. Untreated toxocariasis can cause retinal damage and decreased vision.
source

·
Registered
298 Posts
Fair point

·
Registered
74 Posts
If its ending up on your trainers anyway, next time you see it happening pick up your pace, swing your leg back and launch the mess all over the owner. Then at least when you clean it off it will make you smile.
That would be hilarious :lol:

·
Registered
683 Posts
The thing that really gets on my goat, not that I have a goat, anyway, is people that pick up the poop in a plastic bag then throw the whole thing into the bushes, at least if your going to throw the shite in to the bushes do it with out the bag.
If you own a dog it's all part of the whole package, the dog craps you pick it up, put it in a bin, carry it home.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
I am so glad we have dogs who refuse to poo in the park!

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have 5 dogs and pick up after all of them, if people don't want to pick it up they shouldn't have a dog, you wouldn't have kids and not change their nappies (I found that worse when my daughter was little than picking up dog poo but that's just me!). I agree embarrass them, take bags with you and offer them one if they go to walk off. I have been know to run out of bags but I always look for someone that has some or I even just kick it out the way if I can't do anything else.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Dog shit is one of the worst and most indestructible substances on the planet!
We had one of those chemical dog loos, I poured a whole bottle in there and a month later it still hadn't dissolved!

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
I think it's not helped by the lack of bins for dog mess. We have none on the street where I live.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts