Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I f*****g hate them!:mad: Never liked them, never will. But why is it that when I'm out running, dog owners seem to think that when their cute little labrador / tosspot cross or whatever bounds up to me, runs around my legs and almost causes me to trip up, I'm going to smile, pat the little f****r on the head and say aaaw? It's happening more and more often and to be honest, it's a reflection of the selfishness of the individual. The last time this happened, I asked some bloke to put his dog on a lead to which he replied, "It's alright mate, he won't touch you!" I replied, "You believe that, yet I don't know that, so please humour me! And I'm not your mate either!"

Of course, the worst one of all is a dog owner saying, "It's because you're running!" Anybody else had that? I hate it! I reply, "No, it's because it's not on a lead you f*****g p***k!"

As runners, we have the right to use the paths and trails without being bothered by anybody else. Our sport doesn't bother anybody else so what is in the dog owners' heads that puts them above everybody else?

What I will say however, is that if I go running on the moors in the West Pennines, all the dogs owners there seem to be courteous and their hounds are well behaved. Funny that.

What dog experiences have other members had?

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
We had a thread on this not so long ago and most of us have encountered the same problem as you.

I have had the same where a dog came bounding up to me and I have asked the owner to keep his dog under control, to which he replied "she won't hurt you" so I shouted back at him that "I don't that and I don't like it", not that it made any difference, it is just plain ignorance on the part of the dog owner.

Having said that some people will go out of their way to put their dog a lead and the relief is immense you say "thank you" and really it should just happen as a matter of course.

We feel your pain Andrew :d

TT

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
indeed Andrew, you're not alone!! The usual lines of "He's only playing" etc simply don't make up for the fact that the animal is inconviniencing you. I've had multiple friends scratched by dogs jumping up at them (thankfully nothing worse) and it's simply not on. The actions of a dog are complete extension of the owner and their attitude/general manner.

I'd have no qualms in injuring a dog should it attack me, and I'd do everything within my power to get the f***er put down. Thankfully I don't come across many dogs on my runs (tend to stick to the roads). Though when I do the owners are usually good mannered enough to restrain their dog.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have three dogs of my own but agree with the your comments. I have had one or two nasty incidents with dogs and their owners. I like the advice in Trail Running: From Novice to Master. “Fight back. One technique is to put your weaker arm at a 90-degree angle in front of you. The dog will go for that area. With your stronger arm, grab its throat to disable it.”

The book is reviewed on http://www.runthecountry.co.uk/events.php?aid=47&id=7

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I heard the best defense was to have your stronger arm at a 45degree angle, shotgun held firmly in the hand and pointing towards the dog :d

They can be very annoying, aye. Nothing worse than seeing a fairly large one bound towards you and wondering if it's well-trained or not. To be honest my pet hate is more crowds of 4-year-olds on those little bikes or scooters, swarming around the narrow parts of a road and swerving around randomly

·
Registered
105 Posts
I totally agree with all of the above. I have 1 very well behaved dog who I run with. I would never let her bother another runner (or indeed walker) .... however the amount of times I have to stop running and wait for someone elses ill-behaved dog to be retrieved because it has decided to chase us is just ridiculous! There are however lots of considerate dog owners who will call their dogs to heal until I have passed which does go some way to make up for the many in-considerate ones. Some people shouldn't be allowed dogs .... they should at least be made to go on compulsory dog training courses ! :d

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
SarahE said:
I totally agree with all of the above. I have 1 very well behaved dog who I run with. I would never let her bother another runner (or indeed walker) .... however the amount of times I have to stop running and wait for someone elses ill-behaved dog to be retrieved because it has decided to chase us is just ridiculous! There are however lots of considerate dog owners who will call their dogs to heal until I have passed which does go some way to make up for the many in-considerate ones. Some people shouldn't be allowed dogs .... they should at least be made to go on compulsory dog training courses ! :d
It's the old saying Sarah it's the owners not the dog!!

·
Registered
835 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
FANTASTIC!!! I'll certainly bare that one in mind - great little tactic. Though i'm sure if it came down to it in reality I'd be flailing my limbs trying to flap it away like a girl :embarrassed:
Brilliant post, nothing left to the imagination!

On this subject though, only this weekend gone I was approached at speed by an excited dog who gave no clue to it's mood. I glared at the owner who just shrugged his shoulders in obviously apathetic manner (i.e I don't give a s**t mate).

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I do a lot of the same loops and the dogs on my routes totally ignore me now!
I like dogs and if one is being a bit boisterous I will stop. Better to do that than get knocked over or bitten. I've been bitten once in over 20 years of running. Runners getting bitten is quite rare. If you try to be aggressive you'll end up coming off worse.
Dog owners have as much right as us to be out on the trails you know!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
steepler said:
Dog owners have as much right as us to be out on the trails you know!
Absolutely. But they don't have the right to have their dog interfere with anybody else whether that be runners, horse riders, walkers, cyclists etc.

Their four legged foul breathed s**t machines should be on leads at all times. Unless they're on private property. Furthermore, if I had my way, there'd be an annual dog licence tax of about £200 and a compulsory training certification. That would separate the genuine people who care about their animals from the scratters.

A.

·
Registered
835 Posts
andrew_n said:
Absolutely. But they don't have the right to have their dog interfere with anybody else whether that be runners, horse riders, walkers, cyclists etc.

Their four legged foul breathed s**t machines should be on leads at all times. Unless they're on private property. Furthermore, if I had my way, there'd be an annual dog licence tax of about £200 and a compulsory training certification. That would separate the genuine people who care about their animals from the scratters.

A.
Strong words Andy, but I find myself agreeing with the training idea.

I don't currently own a dog, but really miss my two collies that we lost through old age. I'm looking forward to the children being old enough to get another collie.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
steepler said:
1 If you try to be aggressive you'll end up coming off worse.
2Dog owners have as much right as us to be out on the trails you know!
View attachment 277

View attachment 278 1). Depends on the size of the dog, or the size of the nearest stick/rock that comes to hand.

2). There is such a thing in English law as a "duty of care" which, when applied to the subject in question means that the owners have a strict responsibility to prevent their animal(s) from interfering with other members of the public.
These people have no right to expect runners to stop just because their animal gets "excited" when runners approach. If they know how their animal is likely to react in that situation, they should make every effort to restrain the dog. As I've said in a related thread, if I stopped or changed direction every time I encountered dogs with irresponsible owners, I'd never get beyond the end of the street.
View attachment 279

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
pedestrian said:
View attachment 277

View attachment 278 1). Depends on the size of the dog, or the size of the nearest stick/rock that comes to hand.

2). There is such a thing in English law as a "duty of care" which, when applied to the subject in question means that the owners have a strict responsibility to prevent their animal(s) from interfering with other members of the public.
These people have no right to expect runners to stop just because their animal gets "excited" when runners approach. If they know how their animal is likely to react in that situation, they should make every effort to restrain the dog. As I've said in a related thread, if I stopped or changed direction every time I encountered dogs with irresponsible owners, I'd never get beyond the end of the street.
View attachment 279
I'm sure that the majority of people are responsible pet owners as always it's the minority
that cause the problem, and like all bad experiences they tend to linger in the memory far more than the good!

This of course does not excuse the irresponsible!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
scr8pe said:
Strong words Andy, but I find myself agreeing with the training idea.

I don't currently own a dog, but really miss my two collies that we lost through old age. I'm looking forward to the children being old enough to get another collie.
But if or when you get a dog, I'm sure you'll be one of the considerate owners. To be fair, I do have encounters with people who pull their dogs to one side, smile and say hello and it does make me feel better in the sense that at least some people have manners.

It's Andrew, not Andy by the way :)

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
cheriton said:
I'm sure that the majority of people are responsible pet owners as always it's the minority
that cause the problem, and like all bad experiences they tend to linger in the memory far more than the good!

This of course does not excuse the irresponsible!
I think that this "minority" must come looking for me when I run...:eek:

·
Registered
506 Posts
I haven't had too many, if any, unpleasant experiences with animals. I've had loads of dogs running after me but it always usually seems like the dog is playing or getting excited. I always avoid eye contact with potentially 'handy' looking dogs and try to run side on to them rather than right at them. I'm not an an animal lover, so the concept of walking around in the rain picking up dog crap is alien to me:) If the owners controlled their dogs better it would be easier. I usually have to loop back and lead the wayward mut following me back to its owner. I usually do it in good humour though, it's not the fault of the dogs

·
Registered
19 Posts
I Love Dogs!!!!!!!!!

My two dogs get over excited at everything..... However I make sure i am on the opposite side of the road if there are runners coming towards me. I appreciate that some people have had bad experiences with irresponsible owners and their muts but there are LOTS of us out there who are considerate and thoughtful to passers by!
There are a fair few runners (In particular groups of women) who are just as annoying when they run in a line of 5 or 6, refusing to budge, causing you to run in the road to over take!!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts