Runners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for my long Sunday run this morning. All the dog walkers either had their dogs on leads or under control. As we ran past they all smiled and gave us the time of day which we reciprocated and not a bad word or feeling was exchanged. Aaaaah, lovely! :)

Andrew :)

·
Registered
835 Posts
shoes888m said:
spam snipped out
To forum admin, is there any way of banning this blatant advertising? I for one will not be visiting this website and will copy this post over as many of these as possible.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
andrew_n said:
Went for my long Sunday run this morning. All the dog walkers either had their dogs on leads or under control. As we ran past they all smiled and gave us the time of day which we reciprocated and not a bad word or feeling was exchanged. Aaaaah, lovely! :)

Andrew :)
:d Fantastic! Human smiles and Canine waggy tails!
Do dogs read this forum?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Read both your posts and can honestly say that I agree. I am both a runner and a dog walker (have tried running with my springer but she tripped me up as springers do). Whenever I am walking my dog I always recall her if I see anyone else runner or otherwise as it is the right thing to do. As she is a trained gundog she needs to be steady. Too many people out there are just too blasé about this issue and ultimately it is their responsibility to keep their dogs under control.

Cheers

Chalky

·
Registered
44 Posts
A bounding dog once jumped up at our liitle boy (aged 7 at the time) and knocked him off his bike cutting his hand.

The owner said the usual "sorry" and the classic "Ours isn't the only dog without a lead on you know"

"yeah but its the only one thats caused an accident.."

What was I to do ?, It made me really fume but I couldn't have a go at him because we are trying to teach tolerance and respect etc to our kids...

·
Registered
264 Posts
There is nothing that spoils my run more than if I'm running along over the fields and I see someone with a dog off its lead, especially if they are going the same direction as me and I have to run past them.

Even though the majority of people control their dogs when they see me, I can still feel my adrenaline rise in anticipation of whats going to happen next.

The only good thing is that on one occasion I was about to tackle a rather nasty hill, I then saw a dog and before I knew it I was already at the top of the hill and I didn't struggle at all.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I havent had as many problems with dogs whilst running, as I have whilst cycling. If a dog comes after me I think the best course of action is to try and make friends and talk in a soft voice. They usually just try and have a sniff or want to lick your face. If you are aggressive towards them they may think you are a threat to their owner and try to protect them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Streako said:
I havent had as many problems with dogs whilst running, as I have whilst cycling. If a dog comes after me I think the best course of action is to try and make friends and talk in a soft voice. They usually just try and have a sniff or want to lick your face. If you are aggressive towards them they may think you are a threat to their owner and try to protect them.
Thats a valid point but the thought of a dog licking my face makes me shiver...uuuuuugggghhhh

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I always find it hilarious when the really small, rat-sized dogs decide to have a go and chase after me, but don't quite have the oomph to keep up :d

·
Registered
44 Posts
Heres a rant that I meant to post yesterday

Dog owners who walk backwards and/or sideways and/or generally don't pay attention because they are watching the dog running around...

They make the classic mistake of looking with their ears rather than their eyes.

They then turn around or step right into your path..:eek:

·
Registered
76 Posts
chalky76 said:
have tried running with my springer but she tripped me up as springers do). As she is a trained gundog she needs to be steady.
Chalky
How on earth did you manage to train a springer! They are completely mad!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I run with my Springer all the time ... in fact I never go out without her! She's extremely well behaved and runs to heel (except when chasing Hares!) :d

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
But that's the whole point... if I'm out on a training run, why the hell should I have to stop my run to be friendly with a dog just so it doesn't attack me?? :mad:
EXACTLY!!

Legally speaking, dog owners have a "duty of care" to ensure that their animals do not interfere with other members of the public... Just as we as runners have a duty of care not to push people out of our way and into the path of an oncoming bus.:rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts