Runners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i hvae been runing for about three weeks now. i hvae seen an improvemnet in my fitness. i am very unfit i maight add! i am enjoying runing and seem to want to run more than a few times a week. i am jsut dealing wiht depression due to ill health. the problem being thta my body wonet allow me to run any more. jsut recenlty i hvae had sore achiles tendens where i hvae been runing. some days they hurt and others not at all.

at the mo i am now able to run elevon mins with out stoping. i am so happy as thsi is the most i hvae every been able to run. today i booked my place in a 5km fun run. i am runing for cancer reasech in merory of my uncle who died last year. i hvae run/walked it for a few years but now want to run it. one year i managed to do it in 39 mins so i want to beat thta.

i hvae a condition called pcos and one of the long term health complications can be type two diatbetes. i already hvae insulin resistance whcih means i donet use my insulin very well. my gp thniks i will become diabetic soon. i am giong to try the low gi diet and was wondering how it wuold effect my runing. i am aslo on a diabetic drug does anyone nknow how thsi cuold effcet my runing?

one last thnig my pcos condition means thta i struggle to lose wegiht as my body doesnet use insulin very well any thnig i eat is stored as fat. any ideas on waht i shuold eat to run well stick to gi diet and lose weigiht?

sorry loads of questions. i am so desparte to carry on runing well and to reach my fisrt goal. thnaks sarah

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
i think your on metformin... it is a diabetic drug often commonly prescribed for polycystic ovaries...

polycystic ovaries is thought to be caused by insulin resistance... insulin resistance means you have higher insulin levels as your body is resistant to it... the medication works by increasing uptake of glucose to lower insulin levels... the medication won't effect running whatsoever...

if anything you have more of a reason to exercise... insulin resistance is reversible and you can prevent it by losing weight via exercise alone...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi Sarah, you say you are having pain in your achilles, I had the same problem on around the 3rd or 4th week of starting running. Have you been to a speciaist running shop to get checked for the correct running shoes. I did this and found that I was wearing the wrong type of trainers. As soon as I got the correct running shoes - Asics gel 1130 the pain in my achilles stopped, and the difference is amazing. It is well worth getting the correct shoes. It sounds like you are doing well apart from that, its good that you are enjoying it, keep it up and good luck. I too have entered a 5k race for life mine is in July Karen :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts