Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right my problem is i dont drink near enough water or any fluid on a daily basis, also taking into account my running.
A week ago i started getting pain in my back, i would say kidney pain as in past i once had kidney infection so recognized this pain. I went to my g.p who sent off urine sample which i never heard back from which means no infection which is great.
Now pain is back again, iv been drinking water for last 24 hours on off all day, but dull pain is still there.
What i wanted to ask was do you think it could be just down to not drinking enough taking into account the running i do, to get this pain.Or do you think it could be something else advice would be great thanks hayley

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I don't think I drink very much water during the day either Hayley but I've not heard of getting a back pain through lack of water.

I'd suggest something else, but as to what I've no idea, advice would be to go back to the doctors and see what they say.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Keep your water intake to a reasonable level for a few days (about 2.5 litres a day.More if you are exercising) and see how you feel.

Your Kidneys may take a while to settle.

If not,back to the Docs I`m afraid.

All the Best.

Dave.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Not sure what the answer is Hayley but I, like Granty, too drink little water....in fact drink more coffee than water which goes against most advice....and not had this problem.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well guys i have taken your advice and went straight back down g.p's.
She looked at my urine result from hospital from last week and thats normal. She felt my back side etc and told me she thinks its muscular. It could be as i have been doing more exercises including very small weights and about 10min abdominal work a day. Sent of another test today just to make sure, but maybe it is what do you think?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Muscular sounds a good bet, especially as you have recently increased weights, the last time I tried abdominal work I had a sore back for a few days afterwards.

Give it plenty of rest and see if it improves.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
It might be worth having a look at the way you sit, whether you sit in a certain way that puts pressure on a part of your body for long periods of time. Other than that, probably the weights, aye

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've experienced pain in the kidney region first hand, and as you thought it was an infection, or worse as there is a history of kidney disease in my family.

As yourself, I was examined by my GP who determined that the pain was muscular and had been caused by my job at the time.... lots of time sat at a keyboard and lifting / moving files in confined spaces.

Does your job involve any of those things? At the time I found a heat pack to be really beneficial.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The pain goes off after two days which makes me think is it muscular!!
Anyway im a stay at home mum to my girls who are 7 and nearly 4, i do pick up the 4 year old alot around shops etc and after a min so she is rather heavy, but other than that 'i dont have a real job'!
I also use 5lb weights within a exercise program too,thanks isla

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Hayley,

I've been weights training for a couple of years now and I found that when I do abdominal work, it's best (for me) to do lower back work at the same time. Dorsal raises are a good starting point. I did one set of crunches followed by the dorsal raises and repeated. My lower back pain went away after a week or so.

Hopefully this will help. :)

·
Administrator
6,618 Posts
Ive got a question about drinking water as well, I drink about 2.5 L of water a day whether I am excercising or not. Ive only started to drink this much in the last 2 weeks as I found myself being dehydrated and my g/f told me my breath was smelling a bit metalic?

Anyway, after an hours run how quickly should I rehydrate and how much should I drink? Can you over hydrate?

O.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
metallic breath? lol, first i've heard of that happening!

You can definately over-hydrate, I forgot the term, but it's to do with sodium levels in the body I think? If you do a quick search in google (other search engines are available ;) ) for hydration for runners and you'll soon see recommended fluid intakes.

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
The tin man in the wizard of oz used to suffer with metallic breath!

(sorry i couldn't resist )

to be serious for a moment you need to hydrate after your workout just be sensible
as richard is correct you can over hydrate it can be life threatening

I seem to remember the actor ANTHONY ANDREWS being seriously ill from over hydration .H e had misheard someone and was drinking 8 litres a day instead of eight glasses or something like that .

I'm sure someone else will remember !

It's also a good idea to take on some carbohydrate and protein no more than twenty minutes after your run this helps your muscles to recover more quickly .
take it easy

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I only really drink when I'm thirsty. Sometimes I don't even drink after a long run (90 min+).
If I don't feel in need of a drink, I simply can't force one down just for the sake of it. :embarrassed:
Only ever in exceptional circumstances do I suffer the effects of dehydration (hot/humid conditions... long, hard maximum effort runs).

I think I may be genetically related to camels. Or rats (which apparently can go without water for longer periods than even camels can!):eek:

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
my trouble is I get asked whether I want a cup of tea about a thousand times a day at work, so I rarely drink anything but that for most of the day ha! With it being a diuretic (sp?) I think it dehydrates you over time anyway! But by the time I get home from work, I don't have much time to get out and run before it goes dark, so I don't think much about re-hydrating or anything. Where I live, once it goes dark you can't see your hand in front of your face, otherwise I might just wear some reflective kit and not worry about it... Anyway, to cut a long ramble short... I don't pay too much attention to fluid intake and I'm still here :)

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I think that it's just an extension of the "fear factor" (a bit like the X-factor, but without all that tuneless singing) brought on by having too much information at hand. We frequently come across instances of people being "afraid" or erring safely on the side of caution...
... because the media, and "experts" have been called upon to warn people of the "dangers" that are inherent when we go running. Thus: "I must drink 8 glasses of water a day..."
"I can't run for two consecutive days; I must rest for a day..."
"I must have my gait analysed before I buy any running shoes..."
"I must have 5 portions of fruit & veg every day..."
"I must stretch before/during/after every run..."
"I mustn't run when I have a cold, or my leg hurts..."

Yes, I know it's all sound advice. Very safe. No risks involved. Can't go wrong. Nice...
... But mostly untrue/unnecessary.
I guess it's normal for the dangers to be highlighted; but people tend to see the whole thing in black and white... either safe or dangerous. There's a huge, and seemingly little explored, wasteland of "grey areas" to run in.
Realistically, running isn't totally safe, risk-free, comfortable or convenient. Sacrifices have to be made, and risks have to be taken.
Do too many people accept limitations imposed on them by others, without realising that their boundaries potentially extend much further?

Have a nice Friday. :d

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
a very valid point pedestrian... most of those points are by no means 'musts' at all! Most would be recommendations though. I don't tend to drink during races but always make sure I'm sufficiently hydrated beforehand. I try and maintain decent hydration levels throughout the day too for general wellbeing - It's not hard to do, I just take note of what colour my pee is!

I pay more attention when I know I'm running after reading studies on how even small levels of dehydration can affect running performance. But as you say pedestrian, it's certainly not a MUST.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts