Runners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some advice - running royal parks half marathon in 11 day and only been trained for 10 weeks ( 3 times a week) and up to 9 miles which is so hard - shall i try sports drinks and when and jelly babies. Also if find it hard on day shall i walk for a bit or just run slowly - am scared!:confused:

running FLM next year - exciting but scary for official charity
Join The Children's Trust Flora London Marathon 2009 team today with me !

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
I shouldn't have thought you would need to eat for that distance and there should be water stations to get a drink. Just have a bit to eat a couple of hours before and that should see you through.

I ran 14 miles on Sunday with nothing as I didn't set out to do that far. Even then I would only normally carry water.

Good luck with the race.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks - that is useful. Ran 9 miles in 1hr 50 so maybe half marathon in 2 45 mins - am a newbie so would be pleased. ;)

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi Angie

Welcome to RF.

Might see you there among the 12,500 people LOL.

Don't be scared you are going to love the experience I am sure, if you have not tried any sports drinks just try one on your next run just to see how you get on with it, they do help if you are fatiguing.

Make sure you have a good breakfast of porridge or whatever you are used to and have some carb loaded meals a couple of days before, to help give you plenty of energy.

There is no shame in walking, if you feel the need to then do it.

Best of luck

TT :d

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks Twinkle Toes !look out for the slow one with red face wearing a Children' Trust tee shirt - reminds me must get my name on the back with those iron on letters !!

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
The best thing is you know you can run 9 mile without anything. When you take part in the 1/2 marathon you can keep on telling yourself...."I've done 9 before so thats my target". Once you hit the 9mile marker then just start picking off the miles. Aim to get to 10, then when you get to 10 aim to get to 11 and so on. You will be suprised how much it helps!

Don't make the mistake I did. I took a powergel with me for one of my half marathons and I reacted really badly to it, instantly! I had to stop and walk some of it and take on a load of water to dilute the gel in my stomach.
Try one while training if you feel you might need to use one on the day. I recommend the High5 powder which you mix with water, it does mean you need to carry it premixed with you but if you get a good water belt its not an issue. Otherwise just take a packet of jellybabies with you. :)

Good luck Angie and TT and let us know how you get on!

O.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
everyone is so nice on these forums - see who needs facebook ! thanks - going to do a 9 miles and take jelly babies and hide sports drink somewhere on route too - jut found map my route is really good for tracking how many miles you have done

will let you know how i get on and really useful advice so thank you so much :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
i think its personal choice.. my furthest run is 14miles and i used a gel around the 10mile mark... honestly i think i should have used it sooner and then another around the 12mile mark as by the time i got to the end i was really struggling.

for this sundays half im planning on using a gel at around 7-8 mile mark and then another around 11mile

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
my long run was my first jump over the 10 mile mark and was my longest training run on the half schedual that i was following.
the pace was a fairly easy pace so took around 2hr 30 for it.. it was around the 2hr10 - 2hr 15 mark that i was starting to wilt

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Hi Angie

Don't worry - you will be fine! I'm scared too - also doing first half - on Sunday, and I am worn out from trying to do everything exactly right... to be honest I have just realised I can do the distance, I am just going to enjoy it and be happy with any time. If its anything like the other races - the adrenaline will add fuel as well - but Im not going to try any new potions or lotions!! Just pre-race day water (lots of), porridge in the morning and water bottle. (aggghhhhh!!!)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
good luck sweaty beaty - are you doing the beat on or great north run ! let me know how you get on and and good advice - at least you know you can do the miles. I don't as only done 1 nine mile run and a few 7 miles and lots of 5 miles. Oh well can walk a bit . Look out for all the children's trust runners this weekend and say hello from Angie (I am one of the fundraising Managers)::rolleyes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts