Runners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dwayne chambers should he go or not ?

My own view is this .

After seeing him run on the weekend can anyone really get that pumped up to run a sixty meters, does the effects of whatever he was taking linger on, thus still giving him an unfair advantage

His overly aggressive celebrations left a sour taste and his comments that you have to take drugs to be a winner sends out a terrible signal to the young athletes coming through

I know in this country once you've served your time the slate is wiped clean but if the athletics bodies really want to clamp down on drug abuse simply ban them for life.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Initially I thought that he should run... ok he broke the rules and was caught out, but he served his time so let him put it behind him... we all make mistakes in life after all.

But I was listening to Kelly Holmes on the radio today and have since changed my mind. He not only cheated himself but he cheated the other athletes in the relay team out of their medals too. Kelly brought out information on the whole incident and made some very valid points, which convinced me that he should most definitely not be representing the country, especially when there are so many other athletes who use dedication, hard work and motivation to achieve results, not performance enhancing drugs

·
Registered
123 Posts
I hate drugs cheats and think they should be banned for life. However I think that it is UK Athletics who are the bad boys this time. The rules say Dwain Chambers can run and they should respect that not whinge on about being forced to select him and make it known they don't want him. I hate the fact that he will be running for my country but in a well ordered society rules are rules. If UK Athletics don't like the rules then they should change them.

Also why was he asked to run for his country in 2006 and why are other althletes who have served a ban selected without any fuss.

No one comes out of this well, UK Athletics looks silly, other athletes who will be eligible for the olympics will not get the chance to gain experience competing at events where Chambers is selected. Sponsors will shy away from controvesy and the public will lose any interest they had in athletics. Actually one person might come out of the whole thing rather well and that is Dwain Chambers - perhaps cheats do prosper.

I hate what Dwain Chambers did, but I will champion him being treated by the rules. I just wish those rules banned him for life!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I don't think he should run from a spectator’s point of view, if he doesn't think he can gain a medal without drugs then surely he is not good enough to be in such a privileged position of running for the UK, and I don't want to watch someone with a defeatist attitude.

His attitude regarding not being able to win a medal without taking drugs just devalues the event.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Edward is right; rules is rules and if the rules say he can run it's the rules that need changing.

My opinion is that he should be banned for life.
If it's an advantage for a sprinter to have the physique of a bodybuilder and DC got that physique by using drugs, then he is still gaining an advantage from his previous drug abuse.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Have to say I agree with all the above and don't really have anything to add!

What happened to Pickering in that race eh? I have great respect for him but obviously the occaision (and the false start) got the better of him :(

·
Registered
707 Posts
I'm in two minds about all of this. I think useing performance-enchancing drugs, or any drugs whilst being a competing athelete is just plain wrong... but then he did "do his time"... hrmmmm... but still. Drugs are bad, m'kay!!

So yeah, his attitude is a miss, but maybe he's changed his ways and what not... who knows. I've only seen the report on the news yesterday morning or something.

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
almost_no_specifics said:
I'm in two minds about all of this. I think useing performance-enchancing drugs, or any drugs whilst being a competing athelete is just plain wrong... but then he did "do his time"... hrmmmm... but still. Drugs are bad, m'kay!!

So yeah, his attitude is a miss, but maybe he's changed his ways and what not... who knows. I've only seen the report on the news yesterday morning or something.
It's his comments that are most dangerous !

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
skillipedia said:
He did a mistake, served his time and, now, he should be forgiven. I watched him winning the 60 meters and thought it's time for him to prove that he can win without drugs.

Can you imagine you did the same thing - that would be too harsh to ban you for life from competing
The questions then become do we want to stop drug cheats or not ?

Do we want positive role models for the youth of today

It has to be remembered that his actions not only affected him but there were three other
clean athletes in that relay team who had a shadow cast over them.

There are huge rewards nowadays for success in the athletics world so it is understandable why someone would choose to take the risk but i personally still can't accept it.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Did anyone hear about the comment from the guy who supplied DC with performance enhancing drugs?

He says there will be LOADS of people competing in this years olympics on drugs that will simply go undetected by the officials. First thing that comes to my mind is... well shouldn;t they be finding out what drugs they can't detect (from people like DC's supplier perhaps?) and find a way of detecting them?! :huh:

I do believe that people should be forgiven for these things, but it still grates on me that (as has already been said) he got into great shape from the drugs, and in that sense still benefits from them! Also his agressive celebration attitude came across to me as a "HAHA! Take that UK Athletics People!! I'm above you!"

·
Registered
2 Posts
skillipedia said:
He did a mistake, served his time and, now, he should be forgiven. I watched him winning the 60 meters and thought it's time for him to prove that he can win without drugs.

Can you imagine you did the same thing - that would be too harsh to ban you for life from competing
Free enough he did his time, but if he still persist on making it seems as if what he did wasn't wrong then he should be dropped, because he is a bad influence on young and up coming athletes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts