Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about changing the time of when I run and go first thing in the morning before I start work at 7.30am.

I have to admit, I can't start the day without a mug of Yorkshire tea but wondering whether I should eat something before I go?

I'm currently following the Slimming world plan which is working well for me.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
506 Posts
how far are you planning to run in the mornings, smiler? I can usually only manage half an hour to an hour at the very most because of time constraints and I just have a small glass of juice or even a cup of tea before I set off as I don't usually have the time to eat and digest anything. I tend to want to get up, get out and get back as quick as possible and find that I don't need any food for that sort of distance. Quick banana or a light piece of fruit is what I have sometimes though. :)

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Opinions on this vary a great deal, Smiler. :confused: As with most things related to running, the strongest lessons are often the ones which you learn yourself, through trial and error.;) I realise that it's not really answering the question, but you will find that there are so many conflicting personal views, each one of which is correct for a certain number of people.
Personally, I never eat or drink anything before a morning run (anything between 45 min and 2 hours). If you've eaten and drunk well enough the day before, there should be no reason why you are not "fuelled" sufficiently for your morning run... Unless you're a very energetic sleeper!:d
Good luck.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hello Smiler

The early morning runs I have done so far have been before 5.30am and only once had something to eat, a banana at about 4.00am :) Couldn't do that all the time. Rest of the time has been a few gulps of water. Had breakfast when I returned.

Cheers

Gary

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I have my usual breakfast about an hour before I go for a run. I only have a small bowl of cereal and a cuppa, so an hour is long enough for it too settle.

I couldn't do my long runs without some food for energy.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your replies. I have only just started running so not doing long runs by far.

I'm sure I have plenty of fat reserves to give me energy without food first thing ;)

·
Registered
143 Posts
The most importaint thing is the overall picture o your diet. the smal details about what someone in your position would have first thing in the morning is a much finer detail.

Pedestrian said it all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts