Runners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First things first. I'm not usually an early morning run kind of guy. In fact, I'm not usually an early morning kind of anything, to be honest. The duvet is just far too comfortable. But this morning for some reason I found myself awake at about four thirty am and looking out at the still, early autumn darkness. I've not been running for a couple of weeks actually, work and colds and what not, so..
Yeah, why not? Rummage round the bedroom in the dark trying to open drawers silently to locate running kit. Fail miserably.
"What on earth are you doing?"
"Going for a run. Can't sleep."
Mumblings that included 'mad' and 'wake the dead' from beneath the covers. Finally I'm kitted up and outside in the chilly morning. The clacking of my shoes seem to echo down the street as I warm up; never my strong point so I decide to avoid further complaints from a sleeping household and decide to get gone. And I'm off.
The stars are just breathtaking. Orion hangs overhead majestically. What's the red one there? Aldeberan? Or is it Betelgeuse? Can't remember. Out through the deserted village. Silence shattered by the snarl an barks of some farm dogs as I run past. Still hear them half a mile away as I leave them behind. Shut up, for Christ sake, you're spoiling it.
Off over the fields, freshly ploughed stubble. Hm, interesting in the dark. Stumble over the stubble! Not going to be breaking any records this morning. I'll be happy not to break an ankle.
Now into the woods. Pitch black in here. Silent. Ah, I know how this goes, I've been here before. Any minute now a pheasant is going to wait until I'm on top of it and explode up and scare me to death. Any minute now. Any minute....now. Any min..
NOW!
Hells teeth! I wish they wouldn't do that! I'll be able to see that bit on the heart monitor track 'cause my heart nearly came out my chest. Bugger. Can't see a damn thing. More commotion ahead as two dog size shapes run across the path, snuffling and grunting before diving down a burrow. Well good morning Mr Badger. Sorry to scare you. The thought crosses my mind that not many folks see a badger. Mind you, don't suppose that was the best view, a couple of dim shapes. Must get up early tomorrow and sit and watch. Yeah, right..
Ah, the light at the end of the wood. Out to the top of the hill, then back down. Lighter now, everything's more familiar. Stumble a bit faster over the stubble this time. All the pheasants are awake now, alarming across the woods. Hope there's nobody out shooting this morning, that's the last think I need, surprising some nervous hunter with a twelve bore. Not a comforting thought.
Back past the farm, the farmer's awake now, the cowshed lit with orange light. Looks warm in the cold morning fog. Over the grass, and I can see my Robinson Crusoe footprints in the heavy dew, testimony to my solitude. Feet are soaked.
Home. Coffee. Scrambled eggs.
A personal best? In a way. Sometimes its not about the time though, is it?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
What a fantastic read Man Relaxed! I felt like I was jogging through the stubble with you :cool:

I really had to force myself away from the warmth of the duvet this morning, but I'm about to head out on my weekend long run - it doesn't sound quite as picturesque as yours though! Through the estates, jog round the golf course, back through more estates, try not to get run over crossing a main road, then ah... a bit of a country lane! more estates and I'm home. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Great post. My experiences of running in the dark have been more about trying not to be blinded by full beam headlights than anything else, so not so good! I think running in the dark when it's getting darker rather than lighter isn't a great idea for me...

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
What a fantastic post! I am glad I didn't read it before setting out on the bike. I would have reached for the trainers and ignored the rest my ankle craved.

If that doesn't inspire people to get out and run then heaven help them.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your comments. I just love this time of year anyway, and I get all lyrical. Mind you, I reckon I'll be under the duvet tomorrow as usual. Oh, and I did make my wife breakfast in bed later to atone for the early morning commotion!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I'd be even more scared in the pitch black woods, being a ladeeee an all
Ah, another illusion shattered. All-action leather clad babes that can dodge bullets are not supposed to be scared in the dark woods!

I'll hold your hand, if you like....

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Ah, another illusion shattered. All-action leather clad babes that can dodge bullets are not supposed to be scared in the dark woods!

I'll hold your hand, if you like....
;)

It's just there are not too many telephone boxes in the woods, in case Mr Smith pops up :cool:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Today I had a lie in.

(Just in case anyone was wondering...)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts