Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Tried running a search on Earphones as i figured they must have been covered before, but it came back empty :huh: ... so here it is.

Im in the market for a decent set of earphones to run with - the ones ive got are useless and keep falling out every 10 paces or so.

I've spotted these, and am looking for comments.

I've not got loads of money to spend, and these seem alright.

I remember reading somewhere - cant remember where - that the in-ear ones with the interchangeable ear pieces were quite good for jogging/running with. This the case? Or am i just imagining things?

Any and all advice, greatly welcomed.

Cheers,

Joe

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have these ones (the Sony ones you've got on your link), and they keep dropping out of my ears. Mind you, I only tried running with them once, and gave it up as a bad job pretty quickly becuase they kept dropping out. And they don't particularly cut out noise from your surroundings either.

But I guess it depends on the size of your ears most of all.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Ear size is fundamental in choosing these in-ear earphones. Try before you buy, they may be fantastic if you have a tiny ear diameter, but if you've got ears like the channel tunnel, they may be terrible. Personally I'd recommend ones which have anchors which go over the top of your ear, they're pretty awesome. I personally use my ipod earphones though.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The ipod earphones hurt my ears though as they're too big and round and hard. Hence I swapped to the Sony ones. But I'm still not satisfied, and am also looking around for an alternate pair.

So does anyone have any opinions on the Sennheiser CX300's or the Shure e2c sound isolating headphones?

Nick - how do you get to try before you buy without ruining the hygiene of the pairs you don't buy? And most shops have these in well-sealed moulded plastic packaging. I just can't see your average shopkeeper being too happy about opening these up? :huh:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've tried everything except the Bose In-Ear Headphones.

Has anyone tried them? If so, what's your experience/opinion(s)?

I just wasted $37.00 on the Sennheiser Twist to Fit earphones. Great sound but they don't fit my ears.

I'm looking for good sound and have hear that the BOSE fall out of the ear when wet with sweat.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.:confused:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was a big fan of sony, but then I tried the Shure in ear phones. Very good and can be bought off amazon. I have the ones with a clear outer shell. Cost around £25.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
The ipod earphones suck. the sound quality is awful and you can hear baclground noise even if you have it at full volume. I always bin the apple earphones and buy some half decent buds.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I have the Seinheiser Noise Reduction earphones, which sound fantastic. I don't wear them when I'm running, though, so don't know whether the would keep falling.

The only problem with the noise reduction headphones, is that they are brilliant at keeping traffic noise out - this means you have to be extra careful when you're crossing the road, as you can't hear a thing other than the music.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've tried almost every and I mean I mean every headset available. I'm currently using the Bose In-ear and the sound is great but had to adapt them so they will stay in my ear when they get wet. The rubber mount that are on the ones that you are looking at are the best material for stating in the ear.

joeslifeyork said:
Hi all,

Tried running a search on Earphones as i figured they must have been covered before, but it came back empty :huh: ... so here it is.

Im in the market for a decent set of earphones to run with - the ones ive got are useless and keep falling out every 10 paces or so.

I've spotted these, and am looking for comments.

I've not got loads of money to spend, and these seem alright.

I remember reading somewhere - cant remember where - that the in-ear ones with the interchangeable ear pieces were quite good for jogging/running with. This the case? Or am i just imagining things?

Any and all advice, greatly welcomed.

Cheers,

Joe

·
Registered
835 Posts
Nick B said:
Ear size is fundamental in choosing these in-ear earphones. ..............
Spot on nick! all dependant on the size of the ear canal, I just wish that my hearing aid wasn't affected by sweat AND that it would link int to the ipod ..... now that (for me) would be the ultimate gadget invention!!

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
scr8pe said:
Spot on nick! all dependant on the size of the ear canal, I just wish that my hearing aid wasn't affected by sweat AND that it would link int to the ipod ..... now that (for me) would be the ultimate gadget invention!!
Would a lighterweight pair of muff style headphones not work for you Scr8pe???

·
Registered
835 Posts
pedestrian said:
Isn't there a hygiene issue with returning stuff like that? Pretty much the same principal as a jeweller not accepting returns for ear-rings for pierced ears?
My thoughts too, I certianly wouldn't want to wear any one elses and with my mucky ears I'm sure onone would to wear anything that had been near mine!

Squint said:
Would a lighterweight pair of muff style headphones not work for you Scr8pe???
Umm... I've thought about those. Also, next time I might try out the ones that go in the ear but also hook over the ear (not sure what they're called)

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I just bought some headphones for the gym that hook over the top of the ear and also fit inside the ear, have to be honest, they're bloody awful!!! But this is quite possibly due to ear size (or rather earhole size)... I find the standard iPod ones can just about stay in if I position them well, though they never feel too secure. I've also just got a new phone which came with some in ear ones much like the sony ones in the original post and they seem absolutely PERFECT. Only problem is the cord is insanely short, so I'll have to either get some of the sony ones or buy a headphone extension lead.

I also had some of the ones that hook over the ear but don;t fit inside the ear (kinda like ear-muff ones but without a headband). They stayed secure and were quite comfortable, but sound wasn't great - also my ears got incredibly hot and sweaty!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I bought a pair of Philips in ear hook over things last year. The quality is ok - I mean what do you expect for £10. Hooked upto my Sony sports walkman, they're good. Bass isnt really there, but when is it ever? Plus, when your running next to traffic, you cant hear much of your mp3s anyway.... unless your blasting your ears out!:d

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
pedestrian said:
Isn't there a hygiene issue with returning stuff like that? Pretty much the same principal as a jeweller not accepting returns for ear-rings for pierced ears?

I am not suggesting the shop resells them. They can return them to the manufacturer. If they won't stay in then they are blatently not fit for the purpose you bought them for and you have every right. With a decent set costing up to 30 quid I know what I would do.

·
Registered
835 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
I just bought some headphones for the gym that hook over the top of the ear and also fit inside the ear, have to be honest, they're bloody awful!!! But this is quite possibly due to ear size (or rather earhole size)... I find the standard iPod ones can just about stay in if I position them well, though they never feel too secure. I've also just got a new phone which came with some in ear ones much like the sony ones in the original post and they seem absolutely PERFECT. Only problem is the cord is insanely short, so I'll have to either get some of the sony ones or buy a headphone extension lead.

I also had some of the ones that hook over the ear but don;t fit inside the ear (kinda like ear-muff ones but without a headband). They stayed secure and were quite comfortable, but sound wasn't great - also my ears got incredibly hot and sweaty!
Very useful post richard, thanks. You helped me decide that the next ones I buy are like the standard ipod phones as they seem to be the most reliable (to stay in) and most comfortable.

My only problem with them is that they cant cope with the volume I require for my deafness (I have to have them full blast to compensate for not wearing my hearing aid). My sienhieser (er spelling) CX300 (I think) ear buds cope really well with the sound but will not stay in.

Does anyone know of any that will fit my requirements?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts