Runners Forum banner

Eating Before Running

1K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Steady Edwina 
#1 ·
I'm trying to run on a night when I get home from work, but I'm not sure what to do with regards eating before running.

Should I have a snack then wait a while before running or should I just do the running then have something to eat later?

#2 ·
I always leave at least 3 hours beetween eating and running.

In the winter that usually means running before eating.

If its been a hot day in the summer I will sometimes eat when I get home from work and run later when the temperuture has dropped.

#3 ·
depends what works for you..... you should be ok doing short runs when you get home from work (unless you're diabetic or similar).... if they get longer you might want to think about a snack mid afternoon just to keep your energy levels topped up.

#10 ·
Steve said:
It is a case of seeing what works for you.....
Exactly. My club mate always devours jam butties immediately prior to a race. He reckons he can't run on empty and jam butties are the best thing for putting fuel in his tank!
Generally after eating I like a couple of hours to pass before I run - or before I race - but I've been known to take fuel on board 'during' longish training runs or in a race like 'The Three Peaks'. So circumstances come into the equation too.
Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.