Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am sure this has been discussed before but I need some help.

I am due to run the Grunty Fen Half Marathon on 10th Sept. At present I can run 10k in 45 mins and have been upping my running distances in preparation for the Half Marathon, but each time I get to about 1hr 15mins in my runs I just completely run out of energy.

What should I be eating?

I generally run either first thing in the morning or 7pm prior to supper. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Try a banana or two as a mid afternoon snack for slow release energy.
Have you tried taking a sports drink with you on your longer runs?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jelly Babies

admin said:
You might want to take some food out when you're on a long run. For example jelly babies or energy gels. These will give you a blood sugar boost and may help. It's worth trying on a training run first though as it may upset your stomach.
Heard many people talking about jelly babies so I will certainly give them a go, thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sports drinks

Steve said:
Try a banana or two as a mid afternoon snack for slow release energy.
Have you tried taking a sports drink with you on your longer runs?
I haven't tried any sports drinks as I have never fealt the need. Did try Red Bull before a 10k race in January and I actually think it made me go slower. Any suggestions on what drink to try?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jelly Babies Wow

admin said:
You might want to take some food out when you're on a long run. For example jelly babies or energy gels. These will give you a blood sugar boost and may help. It's worth trying on a training run first though as it may upset your stomach.
Got some and they really do work, thanks for the tip, had a few before the run and some about half way through, finally managed to run 13 miles, Grunty Fen here I come.

The H Plan, how my training is going

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
termiteman said:
I haven't tried any sports drinks as I have never fealt the need. Did try Red Bull before a 10k race in January and I actually think it made me go slower. Any suggestions on what drink to try?
I swear by Lucozade Sport and always carry a pouch or bottle on longer runs and even at races. All isotonic drinks differ in strength and flavour so you need to find one that suits you. What they all do though is give you a kick and help replace salt loss so they are better than water. If you can't find one that suits you make up some squash and try that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts