Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Administrator
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I did it :d
13.1 miles non-stop. Im waiting for my official time but my watch said 2hrs 5mins so I am very very pleased. I thought I would be in about 2 hours 30mins. The girlfriend almost didnt get a photo of me as she wasnt ready.....

Brilliant day and I recommend the Edinbrugh half marathon to anyone!

O.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Bet your thrilled with that?

Just finishing a half marathon wasn't imaginable a year ago for me and I'll never forget the sense of achievement as I crossed the line (incidently, 1 min slower than you).

..... when's your next one ;)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Well done, Owain! That sense of achievement is priceless. Did my first half last year in 2:03. I suppose you want to do it again now??:)

·
Administrator
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My next 1/2 marathon will be in a couple of weeks time since that is whats on my training program for the full marathon in April!

The crazy thing is I do want to do it again and I want to get under the 2 hours now! I never thought I would have been saying that!
My knees are pretty sore just now mind you, so will have a couple of days rest and then get back in to the training.

O.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Owain said:
My next 1/2 marathon will be in a couple of weeks time since that is whats on my training program for the full marathon in April!

The crazy thing is I do want to do it again and I want to get under the 2 hours now! I never thought I would have been saying that!
My knees are pretty sore just now mind you, so will have a couple of days rest and then get back in to the training.

O.
I did the Reading half marathon a couple of weeks ago and it took me 4 days to recover fully from it. If your thighs aren't sore now, they will be tomorrow. (But it's all worth it... honest!)

·
Administrator
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its most my knees tonight that are sore and my big toes.....its the same as what happened the last time I did a 2 hour run, not sure why my toes get sore.....any ideas? Its not my shoes, it feels more like pull muscles....are there muslces in your toes?

Thanks for the comments everyone, it really does help with the recovery. I hope to be running fit by next weekend so I can get out again, the 1/2 marathon has got me hooked on running completely now, I think the days of running in the gym are numbered........well until next winter.

O.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well done!

Well done you.

I live in Musselburgh (just at the harbour) so hung about at the quayside on my way back from picking up the Sunday papers. I saw the first of the runners passing by at just about 10:10 (I think) and considering the speed they must have been running at I was amazed that many hardly looked out of breathe! :confused:. It was also freezing and the wind was quite strong so hats off to you all.

Anyway I was hoping I will be able to participate next year, though after my six miles for sport relief yesterday I may have to reconsider. I feel like my legs may shrivel up and die today. :eek:

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
JamboKaren said:
Well done you.

I live in Musselburgh (just at the harbour) so hung about at the quayside on my way back from picking up the Sunday papers. I saw the first of the runners passing by at just about 10:10 (I think) and considering the speed they must have been running at I was amazed that many hardly looked out of breathe! :confused:. It was also freezing and the wind was quite strong so hats off to you all.

Anyway I was hoping I will be able to participate next year, though after my six miles for sport relief yesterday I may have to reconsider. I feel like my legs may shrivel up and die today. :eek:
Well done to you karen i've already congratulated owain so i'll take this oppurtunity to congatulate you

well done !;) :)

·
Administrator
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ye, the pace of the front runners was amazing! I was still heading out for the 2 mile marker and they were already on their way back to the 4 mile mark!

Karen, firstly well done with your 6 mile run for SR.
I started with small runs and just built up over time, if you carried on with your training you will breeze the 1/2 marathon. I only started training in January after 2 months off.
My partner was very impressed by the front runners, as you say they didnt even seem out of breathe! Hats off to these guys and gals, they are machines :d

With regards to my sore toes, I dont think its my shoes as they still felt really comfortable and I got them professional measured and they recommended I get 1/2 size bigger than usual. Maybe its just the distance and my body getting used to it.....

My official time should be in the papers and on the website today so we will see how I really did :)

O.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Well done Owain.
Theres nothing like that first one.

Karen.
This time next year you will be proudly posting your time for the half.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Congratulations Owain, that is a great result.

Don't re-consider Karen, you won't regret it. Well done too for your great work for Sport Relief.

TT :d

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Owain... just a thought, toes could potentially be something to do with how you run... perhaps you scrunch your toes up a little, or clench them or something whilst you run without realising?? No muscles in your toes, there are tendons though!

I'd agree that you'd probably know if it was your shoes causing the problem.

Again, mucho congrats on the performance!!

·
Administrator
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just got my official details but not very sure how to read them,

My rank was 1864
Gun Time: 2:08:20
Chip rank: 1847
Chip Time: 02:04:46
WMA Rank: 1993
WMA Time: 2:08:20
Cat Rank: 514
Category: MSNR

Can anyone explain what this all means....I think it means I ran in 2 hours 4mins 46 seconds but not sure about the WMA or anything like that.

O.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks guys for the congratulations offered to me on this thread. I am pleased that thanks to some generous workmates and family have managed to raise £200 for Sport Relief.

As for the half-marathon- I WILL do it next year. I am planning on fitting in some 10ks this year and maybe a 10 mile race or two , so hopefully be ready for my first 1/2 about this time next year. All fingers and toes crossed.

Once again Owain, well done and sorry for slightly hijacking your thread!!:embarrassed:

Karen

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
JamboKaren said:
Thanks guys for the congratulations offered to me on this thread. I am pleased that thanks to some generous workmates and family have managed to raise £200 for Sport Relief.

As for the half-marathon- I WILL do it next year. I am planning on fitting in some 10ks this year and maybe a 10 mile race or two , so hopefully be ready for my first 1/2 about this time next year. All fingers and toes crossed.

Once again Owain, well done and sorry for slightly hijacking your thread!!:embarrassed:

Karen
Shared experience =shared joy ;) :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts