Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the countdown has begun. This Sunday will be the Edinburgh marathon.

Are you taking part? If your not, why not volunteer to help the organisers.

http://www.edinburgh-marathon.com/

Im hoping the weather forecast changes because just now its going to be blowing 20mph winds and guess what, we will be running in to it!

O.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Best of luck with it Owain.

I will get round to doing one myself one day.

I think I need some of your self belief...........:d

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Self belief?

I just decided I need to loose some weight and I needed something to aim for, so I signed up for the Edinburgh Marathon, the crazy thing is, since signing up I have ran 2 1/2 Marathons and plan on doing another 2 before the year ends! Not bad for my first years running :d

Edinburgh's course is meant to be pretty good, I have ran some of it already during the 1/2 marathon and its nice and flat. Just don't fancy that 20mph head wind :(

O.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Owain said:
I just decided I need to loose some weight and I needed something to aim for, so I signed up for the Edinburgh Marathon, the crazy thing is, since signing up I have ran 2 1/2 Marathons and plan on doing another 2 before the year ends! Not bad for my first years running :d

A bit better than not bad I think Owain.

Bloody brilliant I`d say.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Good Luck

All the best for tomorrow, Owain.

Ran along Porty Prom and back this morning from Musselburgh and it was pretty windy, but it seems to have eased off a little now.

I'll give you a wave from the water/energy station at the bottom of Kings Road:p

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Karen, I'll be the one with the 2 water bottles round my waist and a running for the RNLI tshirt on :) I will still be taking water from the stations though.....IF you do see me, if me a shout....

Good luck everyone who is running tomorrow!

A full report of the day will follow either tomorrow (if I can still type) or Monday :d

O.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I saw you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Didn't really..... haha !

Hope it went well Owain.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think I did see you Owain! I saw quite a few RNLI runners but I remembered what you had said about the two water bottles. If it wasn't you it was someone else fitting your description....

I would have given you a shout and a wave but I was up to my neck in bottles of water trying to wrestle the tops off them. I even have some impressive "marathon" blisters, though mines are on the hands rather than on feet. :rolleyes:

It was completely manic at the water station especially for the first 30 minutes or so. But still good fun and all the runners taking water from me were really polite and said thanks so that was nice, even though we were struggling to keep up with the demand.

Looking forward to hearing about your marathon experience. :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
whats a water station?

Sorry never been to a marathon before or seen one to be honest. I always thought it was where you get dressed up in PVC chaps and the like and run through the streets to raise money.

Am i being totally dumb here?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Stacka said:
whats a water station?

Sorry never been to a marathon before or seen one to be honest. I always thought it was where you get dressed up in PVC chaps and the like and run through the streets to raise money.

Am i being totally dumb here?

Its where people hand out water to the runners so they don't need to cart bucketloads about with them. There was also an energy station next to us handing out those Lucozade sports drinks which made the cleaning up after the runners had passed through particularly unpleasant :confused: . I'm just glad it wasn't hotter or the wasps would have had a great time....

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, well, well........
Started at 9am and it was cold and windy, everything felt good and I was well hydrated. Took it at a nice easy pace, roughly about 10 minute miles, and headed off. Within 15mins of starting the wind had blown the clouds away and the sun came out, but we were still running in to 17 / 20mph winds and this went on for another 18 miles! Hit the half way mark just a bit slower than my normal pace for a 1/2 marathon but I expected that. Judith managed to get a couple of photos of me around the course, which surprised me, I didn't expect to see her until the end so that was a nice suprise and gave me a wee bit more energy to carry on.
Sipping away at my energy drink and just plodding along things were feeling really good, I set myself a target of running nonstop until the 20 mile marker.
About the 2 hour mark the front runners started to pass us on their way home! These guys and girls were machines, running at that pace must take a lot of training and mental strength, hats off to them.
Went past the 17mile marker and thought to myself, from here on in I'm in new unrun territory....hit 18miles and still felt fine, legs were starting to hurt a wee bit but not enough for me to stop. 19miles, 20miles and I was still running! Well when I say running I mean plodding along :) 21 miles was a struggle, from this marker it was take every mile as it comes....I stopped and walked for a couple of minutes then picked up the pace again, 22miles legs feeling heavy now but kept on going, 23 miles walked again for a couple of minutes but picked up the pace and did the same for 24mile marker.....2 miles to go! I got a second wind and ran the next 2 miles, I came round the corner and could see flags for the finish line, right, no stopping now! The crowd were amazing and one wee boy shouted....Come on lifeboats! You can do it! This made my day and I picked up the pace for one last push....came in to Musselburgh race course and Judith managed to get another photo of me and then I managed my signature sprint to the finish :) No idea where the energy came from but I did it! 26.2miles in approx 4 hours 50mins, the official time will be announce on Tuesday in the Edinburgh Evening News....

Im now sunburnt and tired but so glad I managed to run 99.9% of the full 26.2 miles :) All the training has paid of.

Thank you to everyone who supported me and now I am going to rest and then get ready for the Dundee 1/2 marathon at the end of June :)

Will I do another marathon??? Just now, I'm not going to say no, but I'm not going to rush off and sign up to one either.......

Karen, I couldnt remember which water station you were on so couldnt even look out for you :)
I will post some pictures later and you can tell me if you did spot me :) Thanks again to you and everyone else who did a great job supplying water to the masses! It was much needed when the sun came out!

Now Im off for a bath
edit: Just thought I would say, always wear shoes you know and trust, after 26.2 miles I have zero blisters......I did see some nasty blisters around the course though...

O.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Superb, Owain! and a really great read - thanks for sharing your story. Hope to do it myself some day. All that training must have felt worthwhile as you approached the finish! Well done:d

1 - 20 of 54 Posts