Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I think it opens in September, based on the website.

Are you doing the Great Scottish Run this year? The last two years, you have get entry straight into Edinburgh, without having to go through the ballot. You get gauranteed entry if you are a member of a Scottish running club as well.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Grant I'm not a member of a running club, what run are you refering to, the 10K, 1/2 marathon or the full marathon?

If it's just the 10K I might think about it.
Jambo Karen I have filled in my e mail addy and keep checking every day:rolleyes:

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
littlered said:
Grant I'm not a member of a running club, what run are you refering to, the 10K, 1/2 marathon or the full marathon?

If it's just the 10K I might think about it.
Jambo Karen I have filled in my e mail addy and keep checking every day:rolleyes:

Thanks for your help.
Either the 10km or the half at the GSR would get you a spot (there's no full marathon).

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was having a think about it last night, and I dont think I could manage the 10K in September, I have had a set back in the training *sore knee* so at the moment I'm still running 1.7K. But there is only 2 months and a half till the 10K, and still alot of traning to do.

I was supose to see the physio on Monday but he canceled but I will see him this Monday, so I'll ask him and see what he thinks. He is also going to give me a training plan.

·
Registered
70 Posts
For anyone thats interested.......Just noticed the date for next years Edinburgh Marathon is
31st May.

K:)

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
ye I ran Edinburgh this year.
Organisation seemed to be pretty good, the sound system they used was cr*p though, we couldnt hear what the guy was saying, which included the countdown to the start!
I was suprised to find there were no water stations at the very start of the race.

The first 3 or 4 miles are all down hill which was brilliant as a warm up, the rest of the course is pretty flat. Put it this way, I don't remember thinking to myself....oh no! Here is a hill!
There are lots of little pockets of supports that you come across as well which gives a good boost.
Hated the loose ground under my feet about the 18mile marker, it was the drive way up to hopetoun house I think and it was hard going! Really dusty as well.

All in all, for my first marathon, I really enjoyed it. Highly recommend it to anyone wanting to try a marathon just because its so flat.

You thinking about doing it next year or have you already done one of Edinburghs?

Full report of the race can be found here: http://www.runnersforum.co.uk/scotland/3279-edinburgh-marathon-2008-a.html#post46250

O.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
I hope to get under 4:30 as well, I got 4:50 this year so I reckon I could knock 20mins off if I continue to run, which goes without saying really :)

O.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I was on course for sub-4:30 in Frankfurt last year, until my legs gave up in the last 6km of the race.:mad: My 5km split for 35-40km was about 8 mins slower than all the previous 5km splits and I finished in 4:34.

Should hopefully be able to knock 4 minutes of my time.

·
Registered
70 Posts
When do the ballots open?
As far as I can see from the link below there is no ballot this year.....first come first served until 11500 entries.

Edinburgh Marathon 2008

This messes up my plan of putting myself in the ballot and letting fate decide for me if I am ready to take the challenge :wacko: . I think if I put in the training I could do it but not having even run a half yet I am a bit wary.

I hate making big decisions :(. The good thing about it of course is you know straight away if you have a place instead of having to wait until January.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Karen, go for it. I only started running in January and signed up via the RNLI charity to get a place. I managed the run by sticking to my training, if you sign up now then you have plenty of time to train and its a great event! I really enjoyed it, well as much as you can enjoy running 26.2miles :d

The other option is the team relay which there might be a RF team entering..... :)

O.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You've convinced me...

Right guys- you have managed to convince me that I should do the marathon.

I said I would run a marathon before my 40th birthday but I didn't think I would consider it so soon.

And Grant- you're right- it could turn out to be a welcome distraction from my beloved HMFC. Things seem ok-ish at the moment but with mad Vlad about who knows what is around the corner:d

1 - 20 of 170 Posts