Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello there.

I'm just about to start recruit training with the Royal Marines having just completed the prmc - All went well but running was my weak point.

After some ferocious gym tests and warm ups which included sprints and constant double marking (jogging on the spot with high knee raises) we were tasked to do a 5K run with 21mins being the time limit.

I rolled in just after after the time limit completely knacked meaning a fail :( but now have 2 weeks to dig in and go back and try again.

So I'm turning to you good people for tips and advice on smashing my way home in under 21 mins on my next go.

Thanks in advance and i'm sure you'll all be a great help!
:d

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Blimey! Sounds hard work! a 21min 5k is something a lot of forum members would love to achieve on its own, let alone after the rest of the physical exertion! lol.

In 2 weeks I don't think there's a great deal you can achieve to improve your running fitness - it's generally considered to take about 2 weeks for any hard training to translate into peak performance :s What do you feel was the limiting factor in your effort? Speed? Endurance? Cardio?

If you rolled in just after the time limit I'd say your best bet would be to focus on being well rested and well fuelled in the days leading up to the test, certainly don't go pushing yourself really hard in the week leading up to the test in the hope that it'll help you on the day - it'll just make you completely knackered! It might be worth you doing a bit of a google or search on the forum for the topic of 'tapering' :)

Best of luck and welcome to the forum!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blimey! Sounds hard work! a 21min 5k is something a lot of forum members would love to achieve on its own, let alone after the rest of the physical exertion! lol.

In 2 weeks I don't think there's a great deal you can achieve to improve your running fitness - it's generally considered to take about 2 weeks for any hard training to translate into peak performance What do you feel was the limiting factor in your effort? Speed? Endurance? Cardio?

If you rolled in just after the time limit I'd say your best bet would be to focus on being well rested and well fuelled in the days leading up to the test, certainly don't go pushing yourself really hard in the week leading up to the test in the hope that it'll help you on the day - it'll just make you completely knackered! It might be worth you doing a bit of a google or search on the forum for the topic of 'tapering'

Best of luck and welcome to the forum!!!
Yes, we all got taken by suprise how tough it was. We all expected to be doing an easy 2.5K out as a squad and 2.5K back in best effort with a 10 min limit.

Instead we got a half hour beasting followed by a 5K sprint - with the added twist of no rehydration allowed untill the end of all the tests - which is what I think finished me off, with all the nerves I forgot to drink and eat before it all kicked off. My head was pounding and my lips had gone numb by the end of the run.

Also my running technique is probably pants as i've always just ran balls out with no regard for any science or technique in my training - so I guess there is some improvement to be found there.

And cheers for the tips!

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
You've pretty much answered your own question there Nod, proper fluid intake prior to the test and pacing yourself throughout the run. If you were just over the time limit then a sensible race should see you in under the time. If you can try a steadier paced 5k this week and see how your time compares with your test time.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Ahhh the running on the spot running with high knee raises. I can honestly say that I absolutely hate them! I do them most weeks and they really knacker you out. I know this may not be the best advice, but if you can, cheat. I know they will be watching you to ensure you are lifting your knee's high enough but they are absolute killers and will really effect your performance on the run. I tend to have to do light jogging on the spot then 10 seconds of sprinting with high knees, then back to jogging etc and all this is a just a warm up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know this may not be the best advice, but if you can, cheat.
No chance, they are very strict on form! It would be 20 burpees and game over for my legs if spotted!

We'll see how it goes!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts