Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, after almost 15 years of basketball, which I'm still playing, I'm starting running. It's gonna be my third session today. I did around 4-5 miles on Friday and the same distance on Saturday.

Everything seems fine for the moment (I'm still running on my basketball shoes, but I'm gonna buy running shoes this week), in fact it's being much easier than expected. I'm actually enjoying it, when the memories of having to run when I used to play in top-level junior teams are a nightmare for me. :)

I only have one problem, and I think only men will be able to help me. I'm running in Colchester, Essex, and the temperature must have been between 0º and 5º degrees while I was running. I was wearing a cotton sweater with a hood, so my body and my head were well protected. However, my penis -it is not a joke- feels like it is freezing. :eek: It gets completely cold, almost insensitive, at skin level but at the same painful "inside". It gets back to normality after a few minutes when I am warm, back at home, but still...

I've had the same feeling when swimming long in the sea when the water is cold. But it was not half as intense...

I'd like to know if anyone else has this problem and if there's any solution.

Thanks a lot!!!

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Wear something to cover it up, mate!
... Oh, you are. :embarrassed:
... Well what exactly are you wearing when you run.? In those temperatures, just a pair of shorts isn't going to do the job.
Most runners will wear at least one layer over their shorts when training... usually lightweight, fairly close-fitting running trousers.
Don't be tempted to jump straight into a hot shower to "warm it up" when you get back home. I did that once after a race in sub-zero conditions. OUCH! Never again...:eek:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much Calton and Pedestrian! :)
It's funny how while the rest of my body feels comfortably warm, this part of my anatomy ;) is painfully frozen.
On my third session today, I went out earlier (3 pm instead of 5 pm) and had no problem, as it was slightly warmer. I will think of buying running trousers, though (yes, I was wearing only my basketball shorts). Buying stuff is always a problem for me, as I am 2 meters tall (6,56 feet?) and usually find it difficult to find the right size. I've seen there is a JJB store in town, I'll check if they have anything right for me.
Thanks again, I'm so excited about my new running life. :d I met someone by chance yesterday, who runs 16 km everyday. Her words were so inspiring for me :cool:

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
jon said:
Thank you so much Calton and Pedestrian! :)
It's funny how while the rest of my body feels comfortably warm, this part of my anatomy ;) is painfully frozen.
On my third session today, I went out earlier (3 pm instead of 5 pm) and had no problem, as it was slightly warmer. I will think of buying running trousers, though (yes, I was wearing only my basketball shorts). Buying stuff is always a problem for me, as I am 2 meters tall (6,56 feet?) and usually find it difficult to find the right size. I've seen there is a JJB store in town, I'll check if they have anything right for me.
Thanks again, I'm so excited about my new running life. :d I met someone by chance yesterday, who runs 16 km everyday. Her words were so inspiring for me :cool:
Hi Jon , You should check outa recent thread by little minxie in the clothing section of the forum entitled Ebay oh my god ! this wont solve the problem of a frozen appendage but it should raise a smile if nothing else.;)

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I had exectly the same problem yesterday Jon.

I don`t know what to do,but next time it vwill have to be another layer of some sort because that was painful.......... yikes1171.gif

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I feel better now that I know I'm not the only one ;)

The "Ebay oh my god" clothes are just unbelievable. I still keep wondering "WHY???"

I had to run a little late today too (17:30) so wore the only sports trousers I have (normal tracksuit trousers) and I was comfortable and warm! (and so was "my appendix") Good I have no need to buy more technical stuff for the moment ;-)

Thank you all for your replies! :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks pedestrian!

I wasn't sure the grammar was right, as I translated it from Spanish:
"Cuanto más difícil, más bello.
Cuanto más imposible, mejor."

I guess the philosophy behind it is similar to yours ;)

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I run in my Ron Hill Classics, over a pair of boxer shorts, whatever the temp and I have never had this problem with my penis. Sounds uncomfortable though. I tend to warm up all over when it is cold.

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
JBBury said:
I run in my Ron Hill Classics, over a pair of boxer shorts, whatever the temp and I have never had this problem with my penis. Sounds uncomfortable though. I tend to warm up all over when it is cold.
Happy birthday!!;)

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Is it appropriate that I can only see one eye................ scared.gif

1 - 20 of 21 Posts