Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
but it looks quite something!!

While stripping wallpaper the other night I climbed down from the steps and trod accidentally on the steamer. I managed to dislodge the hose and got a shot of steam at point blank range to my ankle (the skin between the Achilles tendon and the ankle joint), resulting in a blister the size of a golf ball.

Surprisingly, it doesn't hinder the running :d

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trinity said:
would you care to repeat what you said during the steam incident? :rolleyes:

Sounds nasty though...how are you treating it?
Something along the lines of sssssssshh....

I haven't done anything with it other than dress it now that it has burst. It felt like I'd trod in a puddle when it burst. (Quite a mess when it burst in the middle of a meeting). Good job job it was where it was, higher up and it could have been mistaken for wetting myself with the amount of fluid that came out!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Good god - sounds nasty, still - I was just thinking where that hose could have struck, maybe a lucky escape :eek:

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
scr8pe said:
Something along the lines of sssssssshh....

I haven't done anything with it other than dress it now that it has burst. It felt like I'd trod in a puddle when it burst. (Quite a mess when it burst in the middle of a meeting). Good job job it was where it was, higher up and it could have been mistaken for wetting myself with the amount of fluid that came out!
you want to be very careful that it doesn't get infected

and I admire your restraint, I think I may have uttered a few other words if it had happened to me!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
almost_no_specifics said:
Eargh... sounds painful.. and gross...

Can we see pictures?

:p
Now that it has burst it doesn't look anywhere near as gruesome as it did, but are you sure that the good folk of this forum want to see what has been described as sparrow legs dressed in loose skin!

·
Registered
264 Posts
ahhhh nasty things them steamers. You know the way that water builds up in the end thing sometimes, I was stripping paper off above my head and it all splashed on my face. Nothing serious but it made me say the odd swear word or two.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes, steaming paper off of ceilings is downright dangerous!!

Scr8pe - so you're Scrape by name and by nature then? That must have been one hell of a blister!!

I've injured myself too. I hurt my back walking yesterday :( . I imagined I was ChiWalking but only guessed at what I should have been doing as I haven't read the book yet. I couldn't lie down at all last night and have spent the last 24 hours either sitting, standing or crying out randomly when I try and move :eek: .

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Tortoise said:
Yes, steaming paper off of ceilings is downright dangerous!!

Scr8pe - so you're Scrape by name and by nature then? That must have been one hell of a blister!!

I've injured myself too. I hurt my back walking yesterday :( . I imagined I was ChiWalking but only guessed at what I should have been doing as I haven't read the book yet. I couldn't lie down at all last night and have spent the last 24 hours either sitting, standing or crying out randomly when I try and move :eek: .
backs my speciality tortoise ! any shooting pains or anything is it a spasm?, tell dr cheriton all about it and we'll see if we can help you!

·
Registered
56 Posts
It's like a dull ache with shooting pains if I try to get up, sit down, move to either side slightly, breathe deeply, cough etc. I wasn't in this much pain when I was in labour and could seriously have done with some gas and air yesterday!! It's in my lower back and along to my hips. Kneeling hurt, sitting hurt, walking hurt. Thankfully it is subsiding a little. The paracetamols and neurofen did nothing for the pain.

I take my hat off and fully sympathise with anyone who has to suffer pain on a daily basis or anything similar longterm.

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Tortoise said:
It's like a dull ache with shooting pains if I try to get up, sit down, move to either side slightly, breathe deeply, cough etc. I wasn't in this much pain when I was in labour and could seriously have done with some gas and air yesterday!! It's in my lower back and along to my hips. Kneeling hurt, sitting hurt, walking hurt. Thankfully it is subsiding a little. The paracetamols and neurofen did nothing for the pain.

I take my hat off and fully sympathise with anyone who has to suffer pain on a daily basis or anything similar longterm.
Keep taking anti inflamatories diclofenac are good uns if your doc will prescribe them keep active i know what your gonna say it's uncomfortable every which way but inactivity is worse try to stand as erect as possible imagine a piece of string on top of your head and someone is pulling it don't cross your legs this puts a huge strain on the already hurting back don't slouch if you sit on a sofa a chair is best not very comfy i know but better for you . If you do manage to get into bed and you lay on your side put a pillow between your legs this helps to take the strain off . When you get up in the morning sit on the edge of the bed for about 5 mins to allow your spine to settle back down try not to pick anything up low down if you have to bend your knees and keep the object as close to your body as is possible The pain should subside in three to four days if it doesn't go to your doctors espescially if youget any bad shooting pains or numbness . theres so much more i can tell you but that should heplp

I have had a disc out of my backso i know all about back pain tortoise if there is anything specific your worried about pm me !!

take it easy

cheriton

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
used to be the thinking ie lying on a hard surface found this extremely uncomfortable as you have no support for the small of the back a firm mattress is ok though again this is my experience pedestrian. are you back running yet?

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Sort of. Every other day. Between 2 and 3 miles at a time. Very slowly, or I end up limping and over-using wrong muscles in the attempt to compensate for the injury. Still; maybe better than doing nothing.
I've started to do the blog thing, if you want more of the details.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
... um sciatica, nasty I had it in my teens for about 18 months. I had all sorts of treatment to no avail, but it eventually went when a physio recommended an exercise which twists and stretches the spine. It disappeared almost over night and whenever I feel the pain again (which doesn't happen these days) <touches wood> I do the exercise a couple of times and 'bingo', it's gone again.

I'm lucky that I've found an exercise that works so well for me. I have a colleague who is having real problems with her back at the moment and has only just got back after 6 weeks off and if I'm honest, she doesn't appear to be much better than before. :(

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sadly, it looks like the injury will be stopping me from running my usual distances (just when I was getting near to richardsim's mileage too :mad: ). I spent the day in London yesterday doing the sights etc with the children and I was absolutely shattered when I got home and the ankle seemed to be the culprit. It was feeling really sore.

I really don't understand how walking around all day can cause more problems than a 6 mile run and yes, for comfort I wore my running shoes all day.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks for your replies. it's easing off somewhat and seemed to feel a lot better after sitting on my fit ball. Walking is easier but when I tried two steps of jogging it had me crying out in pain, so guess I need to wait a bit longer. Gaaaaah!

I remembered to let my spine settle itself when getting up this morning - thanks Cheriton.

Activity is helping although my toddler wanting to be picked up isn't :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts