Runners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, does anyone else have this embarassing problem, on occasions when I am running i desperately need to go to the toilet, if you know what I mean!!!! It makes it really difficult for me to run. What is worrying me is that I have got my race for life on Sunday, and I know I wont make it all the way round if this happens. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
It is a common problem.........apart from not eating/drinking too much pre race and doing what you need to do as close to the start of the race as possible I'm not sure there is too much more you can do.

Often it is just nerves and once you get going you're actually ok.

I guess if you've a real issue it may be worth a trip to GP.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Karen.

Do you have a problem if you go before your run,or is the problem that you can`t go before ?

I find that I`m ok during a run as long as I`ve been to the loo before I go.

If I can`t go before,a jog around the block,staying close to home usually does the trick.

A quick trip indoors.

Then I can go on my run proper......

Hope that makes sense.................

·
Registered
149 Posts
this issue does seem to be more common than I thought (assumed it was my age!)but as mentioned moderate exercise prior to going out does the trick for me, well easily pleased these days :d

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Yip, its almost a race ritual for me now, wake up, have my breakfast, go to the loo, go for my run :)

I wouldn't worry about it, I think it done to nerves for me though as I don't have a problem if its not a race day.

O.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I've found that it helps to hydrate well, particulary the day before a race, so you system is flushed out if you know what I mean ;)

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Does anyone else find that after about 20 or 30 mins you pass wind a couple of times?? I can almost set my watch by it! I think of it as my booster kicking in :) It seems to bring tears to the eyes of anyone behind me and while they can't see I just zoom off......

O.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Does anyone else find that after about 20 or 30 mins you pass wind a couple of times?? I can almost set my watch by it! I think of it as my booster kicking in :) It seems to bring tears to the eyes of anyone behind me and while they can't see I just zoom off......

O.
LOL :d

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I've only done 2 races, but before each one I have been dramatically desperate to go! First time thought I was prepared, and got to the start line with 20 mins to go, but after 10 minutes was desperate - although it went off as soon as I started running. Last race, I had to keep going too - I think it's adrenaline! I know when my Dad died I was really shaking and my kidneys were working overtime with the shock - races give me a milder version of that!

On normal runs I'm reasonably OK, but drinking too much coffee sets me off, so try not to do that before long runs!!!

·
Registered
6,493 Posts

O.

*makes note to stay in front of Owain in the social race*

·
Registered
17 Posts
Needing a wee is my biggest problem. If I drink too much water before a run I need to go several times, and that's when just doing an hours run. I've got my first 10k race this morning so I'm trying to not drink too much water whilst getting enough to not get dehydrated - a bit of a balancing act.

I'm going to take a water bottle with me and just have small sips all the way round and hope that I'm OK.

I'd like to move up a distance after this race but I'm not sure I'll be able to. At least I'm a guy and if it's multi-terrain I could try and find a bush somewhere but will I get banned from future races if I do that?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Race days have been a problem for me in the past - having read something on race day hydration I followed it religiously when I had a race:

Wake up, drink a pint of water to replace fluids lost while sleeping.
Drink small sips regularly leading up to the event (water or sports drink).
Stop drinking an hour before the start of the race.

Doing this would mean in that last hour I was going to the toilet wayyyyy too often. Now I just use a bit more common sense, and (excuse the detailed info) as long as my urine is clear, I know I'm well hydrated.

Don't seem to suffer with the race-day trots anymore... :d

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
At least I'm a guy and if it's multi-terrain I could try and find a bush somewhere but will I get banned from future races if I do that?
In all the 1/2 Marathon races I have ran this year there is always people running up in to the bushes for a wee, men and women. It just seems to be accepted that when you need to go, you need to go!

Never heard of anyone getting banned from future races for doing it!

O.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts