Runners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night at our running club we had a talk from an England athletics lvl 4 coach on endurance training. You will have to forgive me about the disjointed nature to this post but the talk was fairly unstructured and there was an almighty amount to try and take in. Im also hoping that Rich and Sweaty can help fill in some of the blanks.

Basically he was saying that endurance training should be like baking a cake. There are 5 ingredients:

1. Endurance
2. Endurance
3. Speed (inc 60m sprints)
4. Speed Conditioning/ Tempo
5. Strength

As part of your training you should try and cover as many of these as possible. Whether this is 5 separate runs, or by combining two or more items into one session.

For normal training there is not much point going over 90mins as for most people this is then depleting the body’s glycogen store.

Quality training is better than quantity

there was a lot lot more talked about.. i will add more as and when i rember it

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
You forgot psychology and nutrition?

It was interesting - but a bit disjointed.... main things I picked up were:

Do not run with a cold/germ (not worth it) - and also build in potential set-backs into the training schedule so you are prepared for a more realistic goal. :(

Massage is good!! :d

Prepare yourself for 'the wall' or how to cope with negative psychology in runs by thinking of the worst point in a race (for example last 5 miles of a marathon). I was a bit confused by this though - as I have been listening to Paul McKenna and preparing myself to feel more confident and visualise (in my mind's eye) a really good place/feeling to get me out of the darkness... not the other way round (training for the dark points).

Mix up the training plan to get faster - so you are building in speedwork along with endurance and hills/intervals. Also change the pace. He said there was a session where the runners had to go round a track and they were told a different pace to do it in every lap (about 26 laps) - sounded horrific!

Also I seem to remember on the nutrition front him saying something about having a good breakfast before a race (so get up mega early), this is what 'fuels the fire' after about 2 hours - otherwise you are only relying on the meal you had the night before. He didn't really say what supplements/powders help - only that there is an issue with 'cross-contamination' in the industry at the moment. :huh: It didn't really answer the question anyway. I think he was all about treating each person as an individual with individual needs as far as training/nutrition is concerned.

The rest was quite hazy - I was giggling too much about his dream about his friend turning into a squirrel! :lol:

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
One comment that suprised me a little was about speedwork, or rather 'PURE speedwork'... I've been doing what I would consider to be speedwork on the track, anything from 400m-1600m intervals, occasionally a few 200m intervals and just the odd 100m interval for a laugh.

PURE speedwork, that is sessions that purely work on training your natural speed are repeats of UP TO 60m! Something I certainly hadn;t appreciated before.

This guy was very keen on the concept of working 'different energy systems' within each session... so after warming up (very important apparently - as is a good 15mins stretching afterwards), why not jog a few miles and find a nice hill, do a few repeats up the hill with reasonable rests afterwards, and then go for another 4mile run afterwards.

Like these two... the whole thing seems a little hazy this morning - so much information to take in and he did talk quite quickly, lol. He certainly knew his stuff and from what I could gather was a fairly nifty runner too (I'm sure I heard mentions of half marathons @ 5:00-5:20/mi pace?)

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
as i mentioned to you last night... i wasnt sure if the 60m accelerating sprints were in a sprint pose or long distnace type pose... this is one thing i want to clarify once i get hold of his email...

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
everyone has their own method, what works for one dont work for another... tbh, i dont want to souch harsh but i doubt his methods are right for you, the training of people who can run 4-5 minutes miles is a completely different from those who can run 8-10 minutes miles... something to bear in mind!

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
he works for england athletics and also as a coach a an athletics club.. i therefore assume he works with quite a range of abilities..

although he was talking to a group of about 35 people with mixed abilities (i admit im prob at the bottom end of the scale)

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could you find out if he has an audio cd of his talk if you catch up with him, sounds very interesting.
i think there is a powerpoint presentation that is meant to be appearing on our webby soon.. i will try and post it up when i get chance

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
i dont really think that 60m sprints is a good way to improve endurance... more miles would be better in my opinion... fair enough if you can run a half marathon is 5 minute miles, sprining may work well as you have such good endurance anyway, but as none of can of us can do that i dont think the training tips are all that applicable...

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the 60m sprints was to speed up the legs as part of a speed session.. his whole ethos was that its about the 5 "ingrediants" just doing long runs isnt going to be as efective as doing targed sessions

1 - 14 of 14 Posts