Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just started jogging 2 months ago but due to a cold etc i couldn't run this week. run 2-3 times a week religiously and am doing 5 - 6 k each time. will this have affected my ability to do the same distance this monday. still get anxious before a run because i find it hard work and i seem to have plateaued.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Ive not ran for a week in the past and got back into it pretty well, Your first time might not be as good but sometimes ive been known to run faster after a break it all depends on lots of things on the day.

·
Registered
664 Posts
A week off is no problem if you've been in training, just be sure you're feeling OK before restarting, and make the first run an easy one.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Sometimes we get so obsessed with training that sometimes its nice to leave the stopwatch at home and run for as long as we want as slow or as fast as we want and not beat ourselves up about it. If you find yourself struggling just slow down a little until you feel better and if you feel really bad just go home it might be too soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanx for support. went last night, had to walk a bit but generally a bit more motivated due to the break. am aiming for a 10 k in sept (did 1st 5 k in june). have reached plateau at 5 k and am thinking about starting to do a bit of stamina. mixing walking with jogging and adding in sections of faster paces is this right.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Mixing the type of run you do is the right way to go.
Just make sure you don't go too fast in any speed work session.....let your body adjust to the different stresses....and don't increase mileage by more than 10% each week.

Are you a member of a running club? If not seek one out!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi franny, if your plateauing a bit & finding things a struggle, mix things up to add some fun. Try running faster for small stretches (between lampposts for instance) then jogging slowly inbetween. Or do a shorter faster run, say 3k. After time you'll find your stock run much easier. Steve is right also, a running club is very motivational if you have one locally.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts