Runners Forum banner

Entering Race Events

8K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  roman_the_runner 
#1 ·
I've been considering (and wanting) to enter a 5k or 10k event in the near future and hopefully 2 or 3 more over the coming months.

I figure something like 'race for life' would be ideal but I have issues asking people for sponsership money. Firstly, I don;t actually know THAT many people (especially ones who I'd be comfortable asking for money from) and secondly, if I plan on enerting a few thoughout the year then I think it's a little cheeky to keep asking the same handful of folk for dosh!

This prompts me to ask............

Do you have to have sposership to enter race for life (can i not just pay to enter?)?
Are there any website with a list of events happening anywhere which don;t require sposership?

I have seen 'parkrun', which looks ideal (although the closest on there is still an hours drive away). I was just wondering if anyone here has anymore suggestions.

Thanks

#4 ·
I have the same issues Angie. I'm not good at asking people for money, particularly in the current climate. Race for Life - you are expected to collect sponsorship but you can say how much you think you'll raise, so you could easily say ten pounds for example. They seem to be grateful for any amount, and with so many participants across the country they raise millions. You still have to pay an entry fee for Race for Life.

As for other races, I'm not sure where you'd find them - there's a website for north east races but I don't know if other regions have something similar.
Parkruns are completely free - I think they're a great idea but I haven't done one yet.

#5 ·
http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/defaultEvents.asp?v=2

That should help you find events.

As for sponsorship, do what you are comfy with. Do it for a cause that means something to you. I will be doing the race for life, but as I have just done Silverstone for the RNLI, i won't be asking for sponsorship, I am going to leave that to the others in the group. The other things, is if people know you've worked hard to do, ie lost a lot of weight or overcome illness then people are more willing to donate.

HTH

#6 ·
I use a race site for Scotland, but there has to be a big English one, I've seen it mentioned here, but can't remember it, so someone will no doubt fill you in. My one is handy as you sign up, and then can pay for races all in one place, and not have to keep putting details in.

I do two sponsored things a year. It's always been big swims before, but this year I will shake some money out of folks for my marathon, and I do a Santa run for Wildhearts where they ask you to raise at least £30, and as it's so close to xmas I don't harrass too many people, and I would just pay it myself if necessary. However, last year I got £130, but I don't expect it.

All other races are just for the sake if it. It's nice to raise money where you can, but it can be tricky, you're wise to be sensitive about these things :)

#8 ·
I feel completely the same way about asking people for sponsorship. There are so many sponsored events these days, and for a lot of people money is tight. One person we know asks us for sponsorship for several events each year!

I am doing RFL this year, because I've been asked to join a group of people I know. I will be asking only a few people for sponsorship, but I think this is OK. RFL state on their website that the entry fee you pay covers their costs, so anything you raise goes to the good cause. If I didn't want to ask anyone at all (which I won't if I do another one) I would just throw in £20 myself as a donation.

#11 ·
You don't have to raise money unless the entry requires that you do.
I am going to sign up for Race for Life this year and I won't be collecting money, I've ran for charity before so I'm not gonna feel guilty about it.

#12 · (Edited)
Angie
You could try running an orienteering race (They're relatively inexpensive) - there are several coming up for beginners like you in your area - the club organising them is Derwent Valley Orienteers (DVO) and here are the dates
Don't worry that you've not done it before - there's someone there to help you
30 Mar Ambergate
9 Apr Poolsbrook Country Park Nr Chesterffield
16 Apr Hall Leys Park Matlock
17 Apr Crich Chase nr Ambergate
5 May Ilam Country Park Near Ashbourne

Their website is here (feel free to PM me if you need further info)
http://www.dvo.org.uk

PS Ran in a super little event yesterday at Hathersage

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.