Runners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wake up this morning, see my new shoes have arrived and gues what, i have a nasty pain just under my knee. My girlfriend thinks it could be shin splints.

Any tips i could use to heal it quickly? Cant afford to be out of training (not to mention the fact i want to give these new brooks shoes a try :) )

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I suffer from shin splints quite often,and I think that your leg pain seems to be a bit high.

Mabye other people will disagree.

If it is shin splints,the only thing that helps me is to take it easy for a couple of weeks.

Make sure you stretch your shins before and after your run.I`ve found the best way to do this is to kneel down and sit on my heels.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Shin splints

Push upwards underneath your kneecap squeeze the paterla tendon with two fingers each side press on the top of the patela tendon for 10 seconds if the pain increases the tendon is in flamed if it decreaces it is on the mend, then flex and extentend the whole leg if you feel pain it is more likley if you have changed your foot wear in this case you have inflamed the patela tendon. Massage the patella tendon with with leg bent at 90%with a a combination of black pepper oil 5 drops lavender 6 drops to 10ml of sunflower oil when you have massage the tendon up wards downwards kneed the tendon & massage across do this for 2 - 3mins then with knee bent a the same possition apply ice for 5 mins start to stretch before and after runs with a good warm up and cool down & i suggest you go and se a good sports therapist for a good massage

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.

Albmaleaf said:
Pif you have changed your foot wear in this case you have inflamed the patela tendon.
Not changed yet, just got the new ones today, ben running in old shoes that dont provide support or stability.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Ibuprofen gel is quite good: its an anti-inflammatory so reduces the pain from the swelling. I found that lying down and raising my legs and leaning them against a wall for 20 minutes each night before I went to bed got rid of my developing shin splints.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nick B said:
I found that lying down and raising my legs and leaning them against a wall for 20 minutes each night before I went to bed got rid of my developing shin splints.

Worth a try ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Shin splints

Try Albmaleaf, Ibupropen is chemicaly based as are many other anti inflamitory gels. Albmaleaf gel is organic and is as effestive if not more so. This has been a mission of mine not only for people to use Albmaleaf my gel but to encourage Sports people to use other pure & natural & Organic products gels ect that are free from chemicals. Chemicaly based gels that are sometimes harmful when absorbed ito the blood stream

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have shin splints but have NY marathon to run in two weeks time!!! Arrrgh. I know the frustration of wanting/needing to go for a run but really, if it is shin splints take it easy, I keep going back out there only to put the recover back as it keeps flaring the problem back up again.

Ibuprofen and lots and lots or streching helps. Mostly though I have found sports massage a real winning and enjoyable to (if a little painful)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts